Saturday, January 29, 2011

Summer Exploration

I'm debating teaching a Summer Exploration course.  Here's why:
  1. I'll be paid - and JJ is off during June.
  2. It's from 8-12 Monday - Thursday.
  3. Class size is limited to 16.
  4. It's flexible - could be a one, two or three week course, or I could do one session three times (each one week long), three different courses, etc.
  5. And I get to pick the topic, make the plans, have access to technology and a budget.
Sounds pretty ideal, right?  But what to do?  Hmmm... here're some ideas I've brainstormed:
  1. Teaching History with American Girls (there is actually a teacher's resource book for this very thing, but it is ... ugh... out of print.  I did find one on Amazon)
  2. Spanish -with a podcast project? --- using lessons from my previous foreign language days 
  3. French -with a book project? --- using lessons from my previous foreign language days
  4. German -with a body outline project? --- wow, that foreign language gig was pretty useful!
  5. Something with remedial reading --- readers' theater, literature circles, book boxes, readers' workshop, etc.
  6. Something with remedial math --- file folder games, computer games, mathsafari, etc.
  7. Arts and Crafts --- I have three books devoted to this already from my summer babysitting days!  : )
What do you think?  One thing I think for sure - I'd want to do the same week-long course three times.  Why reinvent the wheel, right?  Plus, by week three, I will have that unit DOWN.  : )  Poor week 1 kids...

2 comments:

Tara said...

I think it sounds great! What a great way to use your talents and earn a paycheck at the same time. Also, what AWESOME hours and you still get your Friday's off! I totally understand why you wouldn't want to either...new baby, have your summer completely off and spend time with your whole family. You have a tough decision to make...

JJ and EJ said...

Thanks Tara! Yeah... I think it'll definitely be nice to have some income over the summer. Especially knowing JJ WILL be home makes it easier. I think I decided to do the History with American Girls... I found a book for $25 that comes with tons of fun projects/reading selections and another book just a little over $10 that has plays to do... hopefully some girlies are interested in my session! I just think the whole program is cool. I'd totally send M there if she'd be an elementary schooler!