Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Those darn kiddos

I have been so busy trying to get all of my kiddos' hours in. I feel a bit overwhelmed until I actually think about what I'll be doing rather than the time commitment. Hmmm, let's see... bowling, going to a movie, rock-wall climbing, swimming, bike riding, etc. There is, of course, the occasional reading lesson (it just took me about an hour to complete the miscue analysis/running records on one of my kiddos) and social skills lesson. Well, I should say, the social skills lessons are pretty much ongoing throughout my day. For example, I had to institute the "three compliment rule" yesterday at bowling. Whenever someone said something not so nice to another kiddo, that kiddo had to give three compliments to the other kiddo. This was harder for some kiddos than others! It was interested to watch. Even if it was a forced thing just so they could take their next turn at bowling, I was glad they were coming up with nice things to say. And, by the end, there were many encouraging words shared without being forced! The kiddo that I have probably been most frustrated with -- he is just so darn hyperactive -- held my hand practically the whole time. I think he was so overwhelmed with these two other boys that were bowling with him, that he needed an anchor. Anyways, it was touching to say the least and it made (some of) my frustration dissipate.

No comments: