Sunday, July 27, 2008

Medora! The badlands!

This is part of a song that is always at the Medora Musical, but was absent this year. JJ and I had those words in our heads the entire way to Medora, forcing JPJ and CAJ to yearn to hear the rest of it, but only to be disappointed. Oh well. All in all the Musical is always entertaining, but this definitely wasn't my favorite one.

We started at the North Unit of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We saw ONE buffalo (Have I ever mentioned that buffalo used to be my all time favorite animal when I was little? I always thought that was a bit odd because they're so big. And stinky.), a ranger, a newlywed couple and some other fellow tourists, oh and of course the b-e-a-u-tiful scenery. We took the obligatory scenic pictures for proof. Then, we headed to Medora, where we had an appointment at the Old Tyme photo place. JJ and JPJ chose to be "rugged cowboys" and CAJ and I were "ladies with the v-neck dresses". One of my favorite shots was when I harrassed the staff and friends to let us take one where the ladies stole the gents' guns. It was grrrreat! We snooped around town and were a bit disappointed that everything costs money! Yeah, yeah, I know, it's a purely tourist town, what did I expect? We met up with two of JJ's bros -- BJ and CPJ -- and his classmate ZM and girlfriend M. After going through a few more shops and getting some frozen lemonade (that was just too sweet to completely hit the spot), we played some putt-putt golf. JPJ took home the gold, and we decided that we had better get moving to the Pitchfork Fondue since it had technically started about a half-hour previously. We got our steaks -- mine was seriously bloody (I like my steaks actually burnt to a crisp, so JJ gave me some of his and JPJ and CPJ finished off mine for me.), don't worry, though, I was far from starving with the baked potato, beans, veggies, coleslaw, and lemonade. I didn't even have room for the brownie!

And this brings us back the Musical. There was the singing (including a rendition of You Raise Me Up, done by the "city slicker", which cracked me up because he was from my hometown), the clogging, the band with the fabulous violinist, the impressionist, and the overacting with some lame jokes by "Prairie Dog Patty" (she just kept popping up - hardy har har). Sorry if this is a bit negative... I really did have an awesome time and will no doubt be back for more of the same next year!

No comments: