Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July Memories

Yay for the 4th of July! It was never quite a big deal for me growing up. We went to a parade every year. Sometimes a rodeo. And then we'd watch fireworks. Sometimes I would set some off because I was freakin' scared of blowing myself up. Sometimes we'd go to my grandparents' farm.

When I married JJ, I became part of this big deal 4th of July celebrating family. One of our nephews' birthdays is on the 4th, which some people might think stinks, but he absolutely loves fireworks. This works well because that is often what he gets for gifts. We always go to the small town where two of JJ's sisters live. It seems that small towns always make big deal celebrations. The J boys generally come up with some elaborate fireworks show -- complete with timing of who starts what when and where. Let me tell you, it is quite the event! Recently, there have also been some football games, some sailing on the lake, some croquet and of course lots and lots of food!

This year, one of our nieces is complicating this whole shebang because she went and got herself married and is having the reception on the 5th in Minneapolis. We are looking forward to the festivities and quite a few people are making the trek to Minneapolis to join in on the celebrations!

No comments: