Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kiddos Update

I know you want to hear about my little darlings for the summer, so here is a quick update from yesterday:

I took three boys to story time at the library. Those lucky little librarians never knew what hit them. It was all about bugs and butterflies, and one of my kids said, "This is the one I wanted to go to so I can get rid of my phobias." Yes, good for you. Afterwards, I had one boy throwing stuffed animals and foam letters around, while I tried to patiently explain why that was not a good idea. A two-minute time out finally did the trick I guess. They each checked something out and on our way to dropping them off, they had an in-depth discussion about who was the luckiest kid. One said he was the luckiest because he gets to go rock climbing with me (this lucky individual also happens to have a whole summer pass). One said he was the luckiest because of a secret he can't tell the other boys (earlier he had disclosed to me that he is in fact Superman and he owns Pokemon and robots and a watch to alert him when Lex Luther is up to no good). Yes, this is my life. I get kind of torn between helping him get grounded in real life and letting him play out boyish fantasies.

Then, with an empty car once again, I head to my next kiddo's daycare to pick her up and take her to an indoor waterpark. We have some indepth discussions about doing the right thing and not getting everything we want. She is also the kid who always finagles me into buying her something. Man I am such a sucker! On our way home she states, "I am coming back here tonight." Playing devil's advocate, I say, "Oh, and what if Mom decides it's too late and you need to be home?" She readily states a gameplan in which she comes out victorious. This girl is practiced at getting what she wants. Friday's plan is for a full-on social skills lesson.

No comments: