Friday, May 29, 2009

Scrapbooking Dilemmas

Tonight I am invited by friend JA, a science teacher at my school, to scrapbook at Culvers! A friend of hers reserved the back room from 3-9 for our pure scrapbooking enjoyment! I can't wait! Not only does it allow for some M-Daddy time, but I can get some pages done! Woohoo! I organized some of the pictures I had printed a long time ago (Thanksgiving, Christmas, baby showers, etc.). THEN I got to February. What happened to a few pictures here and there? MVJ has single-handedly taken over our photo directory. So here-in lies the dilemmas. I am making her her own scrapbook, so how many photos of her should be in the "family" album? I mean, she is the center of our universe right now, but I printed 115 pictures at Sam's yesterday. I don't think ALL of them should be in our family album... should they? They ARE so cute. . . . . And then in her album, I need ideas. Should I stick with chronological order, like I'm used to doing in my other albums? Or should I try some themed pages (think "friends!", "bathtime!", "new outfits"!)?? I can tell you one thing... I'm excited to try out my new cricut for some perfect titles! (It always takes me a few tries to merge new "toys" in with my scrapbooking!)

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Oooh! I love this post. Here are my tips:

With my kids, I try to put only the best photos of them in the fam album...or ones of activities we all did together. So Leah's dance and Ben's gymnastics will mostly go in their own albums (eventually!). I put one page in the fam album for each of their birthdays. But MVJ IS part of your family now (it's kind of hard to make that leap in your scrapbooking, I know) so things that she does are fair game for the fam album - like her baptism/dedication for instance.

In her own album, I would do a mixture of chronological and thematic. So, maybe cluster 2 months worth of bath photos or friends into one or two pages, but keep the rest chrono. I like to put the smaller calendar mats in for each month, too, then even if your photos are perfectly in order, you know when milestones happened.

The rule of thumb for me is: In 20 years, what is her fiance going to care about? The exact day a photo was taken? Or generally what she was like pre-6 months? And when MVJ is going to be a mommy, she'll want to know her milestones...not the specific date she met the relatives.:)

It's all in the perspective, and in this case, it greatly reduces MY stress level.

Hope you have (had) fun!