Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tidbits of Advice: Labor

This is obviously unique for each person, but here is some quick advice I picked up in the oh, six-ish hours I knew I was in labor.

*Try to come as hydrated as possible. They would not let me have anything to eat or drink. I don't know about eating... I don't think you'd want a full tummy... and... uh... from Jenny McCarthy's book... you could potentially poop while delivering. Obviously unintentional and completely normal, still.... wouldn't want to be in that position.

*Try to have a birth plan in mind. Of course mine went completely out the window in a matter of minutes, but still good to have a few expectations.
*Who do you want with you? (I found that less is more during the actual delivery, but next time I think I'd feel comfortable having my Mom... if it's a "normal" pregnancy...)
*What "activities" would you like to do to help labor progress? (Sit on a yoga ball, go for a walk, etc. were a few of my choices that didn't happen since they wouldn't let me move once I had the magnesium.)
*Drugs. (Let's not revist my desire for an epidural, -k-?) But do know what you want and don't be afraid to let people know. : )
*How can your labor coach (my hubby JJ) help you? JJ was amazing at just figuring out what I needed basically. When I felt a contraction, he was right by my side showing me how to breathe and calming me down. I absolutely needed reasurrance at every step and he was so encouraging. I think it's good to let your husband know how you think he can help you and also let him know that it may change during delivery.

*When they hooked me up to the monitor, I was so glad to see when contractions were happening. I obviously felt them (once I knew that's what they were!), but I loved the little graph going up... and coming down... going up... and coming down... It was soothing to count through them. And of course, BREATHE!

*One of the doctors told me that when I felt like pushing, I would "bear down". No one told me, ok, time to push now (for the first one), it just felt right. And you honestly do push like you're going #2. Pushing was wonderful. It was active. I could DO something with these contractions. To start a "push", I waited for a contraction, breathed in a lot, and then held it like I was going underwater. Filling up my cheeks seemed to help. I was clueless about this step for a while. For some reason it was NOT connecting how to hold my breath. The doctors will guide you about how often they want you to push.

*Then, the head will kind of pop through -- JJ said he saw MVJ's head of hair pretty quickly after I started pushing, but it didn't actually come all the way out for a few more pushes. Once the head comes through, don't forget to keep pushing! I forgot this step. There are still shoulders and whatnot to get through!! But, after the head, the doctor will basically pull the baby out. And ta-da! You've done it! It really is true what they say, you forget about the pain.

*Then, don't think you're 100% out of the woods. Now you have to push out the placenta. There was nothing to this step, but it did feel kind of awkward. The baby's out. And you still have to push out this thing that resembles a bloody jellyfish. Niiiice.

*Lastly, you may need some stitches. At least you've got a baby to focus on to forget about whatever else they're doing to you. : )

1 comment:

Lyz said...

And if you are successful and get that heavenly epidural, you won't feel anything after that baby's out - placenta, stitches, nothing!;)

Even if you WERE able to eat before going to the hospital, your body will probably try to empty itself in preparation - one way or another. Fun.