Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tidbits of Advice: What NOT to buy!

So again -- please add ideas!! I'm a newbie! : )

Since my baby girl was due in March, I hit up some rummage sales last summer -- before we knew what people would send us as gifts and before we knew we were having a baby girl. I bought things that seemed useful, but I've found that some things were not needed, even if they were only $0.05!

Here's my list of what NOT to buy!

*BIBS. Last count I honestly have over 50. Some came with outfits, some as gifts on their own, and some I bought at rummage sales. My girl is a spitter at times, so it has been helpful to not be worried about her spitting up and grabbing a new one... but I did NOT need to buy any! : )

*BLANKETS. We have gotten many as gifts -- and many of them have been handmade making them super special. As Auntie LJ noted - we must really have enough if we're using some to level our carseat base...

*RECEIVING BLANKETS. I don't know how, but we've accumulated a ton. We mostly use them as extra burp rags because we have great things with the express purpose of swaddling, so we don't use the receiving blankets for that.

*PACIFIERS. We've gotten some as gifts and Miss MVJ doesn't seem to enjoy them much... yet anyways.

*BOTTLES. (We're breastfeeding...) We just felt like we would need a ton, and it seems like she'll be using a bottle like once or twice a day at the peak. Again, this is just my speculation... maybe I'll find them superuseful later... ??

*TINY BATH FOR LITTLE BABIES/NASAL ASPIRATOR/THERMOMETER/TEENY TINY HATS. Our hospital gave us all of these things.

*CRIB BUMPER. I didn't realize there was a "controversy" over these things. I guess babies can roll into them and suffocate! : ( But, then I've also heard if you don't have one, baby can get his/her arms stuck in the crib rails. So, I guess you can choose. We'll probably take ours down once MVJ gets more mobile.

3 comments:

Lyz said...

The crib bumper really is debatable. Mine keeps the pacifier in the crib! I've never had a kid get their head anywhere close to being stuck in it, although an arm or leg has gotten underneath occaisionally. Mostly I just like how it looks.:)

Different hospitals give away different things, but it's not a bad idea to keep things in their packages until you actually need them.

There IS such a thing as too many bibs/blankets/receiving blankets, as you've found out. You can always donate them.:)

Lanae Brown said...

At least you know you can keep the blankets, bibs and bottles for her to use when she plays with her dolls someday!

Amy said...

I know what you mean about the crib bumpers,but when I saw a tiny arm sticking out of our crib bars, I found a mesh bumper that I love!