Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tidbits of Advice -- Pre-Delivery

I'm not a "seasoned veteran" by any means, so if anyone has advice to share, please do!! I have quite a few friends who are having first babies and are looking for advice of all kinds! Know, too, that if things don't go as planned, you'll be just fine! At the hospital, people were so helpful and provided me with things I hadn't brought with me (a toothbrush for instance!).

Pre-Delivery
*My biggest advice here is to plan ahead! You NEVER know when that baby's going to show up! Poor JJ didn't have a lot to go on when I sent him home for "stuff" while I was at the hospital. Even a list would be helpful if you're in a hurry.

*Slippers are nice to have -- they wouldn't let me walk around without nonskid socks/slippers/shoes. Don't forget nursing pads and bras (if you're breastfeeding), and of course stuff for your period (no tampons allowed). You'll want comfy clothes and don't forget shower stuff!

*Have the car seat installed! (And DON'T get rid of the receipt... you never know if your peanut will fit in the car seat you choose!)

*If you can, attend a birthing class(es). At least read the part in What to Expect When You're Expecting... I was dumb and only read up to where I was at... it was like a ritual -- oh, I'm in my 7th month, now I'll read about it. It would've been nice to have a sneak peek beforehand.

*It was helpful to have our baby showers early, so we could go buy the things we didn't receive but knew we needed. As it happened, we shopped/set up the weekend before we had our baby girl! Also, I washed the smallest outfits and bedding so those things were all set up and ready to go!

*I only bought one newborn outfit before the hospital because I heard about babies who didn't fit in newborn and went straight to 0-3 months clothes. Our chica happened to fit preemie outfits and has yet to grow out of her newborn outfits. I guess you just never know!

*Do what you can to organize at home. Friends of mine cooked things to freeze ahead of time.

*People advised us to spend quality time together because time with just the two of you will not happen very often from now on!

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Good solid advice here, E.
I have had to ask for toothpaste while at the hospital - they are prepared, so don't go without those things.:)

I have a "special" robe & slippers that I've had at the hospital for both kids - kind of a ritualistic thing, but also not as bulky as my reg one, and not as expensive if it gets, um, dirty.:)

Car seats are tricky - some places won't let you return them at all if you leave the parking lot. Check to be sure.

You are a pro NOW! All it takes is one...:)