Sunday, March 29, 2009

On weather and such

I've been meaning to post for some time, so this might be a long, drawn-out post! Sorry!

Sometimes I feel just out of the loop as a temporary SAHM. It seemed like all of a sudden there was flood talk, which I guess wasn't SO all of a sudden since we just kept getting snow and rain this winter. But anyways, the first people affected were my parents, which was quite a shock. My Mom called to say it was bad in my hometown, but it looked like they would be ok. Then she called back later to say they were doing evacuations. I came to find out that I strongly dislike that word. It just sounds so scary. For some reason it just puts me in a wartime feeling. THEN she called back later to say that they were sandbagging, moving stuff from the bottom two floors in our house up and going to my grandparents' (who live in a higher part of the city). It was surreal hearing that kind of news but not being able to help. My family does tend to err on the side of worry, but I knew there was nothing I could do from here besides pray for people in my hometown. In the age of facebook, I was able to know right away who was affected and who wasn't by status updates and picture downloads.

JJ and I had a quick conversation about where we'd go and what we'd do if need be. It was good to just have a plan. I quickly put things into perspective -- what was really important was that everybody stayed safe. Things are just things. (Hmmm... maybe I should do some house cleaning with that attitude in mind right now!!) So anyways, my parents were able to return to business as usual as ice jams were blasted north of town. Next we focused our attention to our neighbors to the south, where BIL/SIL AJ and LJ live. The town has had major work filling sandbags, putting them up and maintaining them. When I think of other natural disasters, there are times when people make bad choices (like the looting in New Orleans). It just makes me so glad to live where I do where people come together and help eachother out in yucky times. There have been so many volunteers and so many agencies that have come together for a common goal of keeping everyone out of harm's way. From babysitting so others can sandbag (LJ), to providing meals for workers, to round the clock neighborhood watches to catch leaks in the dikes, it has been quite a team effort. JJ's university even closed Thursday at 3pm so students could help in the southern town, but also where we live. It will reopen Tuesday. Friends were going to help sandbag but were turned away there are so many volunteers. So, I guess I'll just enjoy a few extra days home with my hubby!

I have been getting a kick out of watching the town meetings held every morning since Tuesday I think. I've never met the guy and I KNOW stress does things to people, but JUST from those news conferences on TV, the mayor of that southern town drives me nuts! He seems like a total dink. Anyway, just personal thoughts there. On the Saturday conference, there was finally some good news. Even though people are still wary and are waiting until it's "over" to breathe a sigh of relief, there were some jokes cracked (i.e. about the emergency response team vs. the "slow" response team and who was in charge of the "slow" one) and spirits seemed definitely lifted. I'm waiting to watch this morning's news to get the latest. I've also enjoyed this website for info.

I have had some things to contemplate with this weather. Why do we live here? What's most important? I think it just comes back to the people of this area. It's not the yucky or great things that happen here, but how we deal with them that really matters.

Ok, enough philosophying! : ) JJ's off to work, Baby M is back to sleep and I think I'm headed there too before bathtime for MVJ and Church... maybe the 11:30 service today...

No comments: