Sunday, September 12, 2010

On to the Hubby...

You're probably sick of me bragging on my baby girl - sorry - it won't go away - it's what I do.  But I'll give you a break and instead brag about my awesome hubby. 

Seriously, this guy is so wonderful.  You all know about his kitchen skills... let's have a moment of silence <...............................> thank you.  Really, I shouldn't be so dramatic.  Just last week JJ was cooking up a storm more nights than not.  It was finals week and so his schedule was way off, but Wednesday he told me, "I like to cook.  It is a stress-relieving break for me.  Just let me do it."  Alright fine.  I guess I'll take one for the team and let you cook, but only if you think it's going to help you this week.   

JJ is also the most involved Daddy.  For example, he was just about to golf the other day when MVJ threw up.  I texted him what had happened and he was home about a half hour later after canceling with the boys to be home with his sick baby.  He is the best story reader.  I am always entertained and I know MVJ loves it too because lately when Mommy starts reading to her, she usually stops me about half way through asking for Daddy.  Our special favorite lately is "It's Okay to be Different" by Todd Parr.  If you don't know this book, you need to get to know it.  JJ totally ad libs with his own text sometimes and it just cracks me up.  For example, on the page that actually reads "It's ok to get mad." (with a skunk letting off it's spray) JJ reads, "It's ok to be stinky sometimes."  Or for "It's ok to have a pet worm." we often hear, "It's not ok to have a pet worm.  We'll discuss it later."   

MVJ adores her Daddy.  Just the other day, while he was playing with her in the living room, she pulled him down to her level and planted a big 'ole kissy on his lips.  They dance together, draw together (sometimes... if she's on a particularly good streak of keeping the crayons out of her mouth), take walks together, and generally chat about their days together.  He tries his very best to make it home by the 7:30 bedtime deadline and I can tell the disappointment and sadness in him when he gets home closer to 9pm, which is an often ETA.

JJ has been working so hard in school.  They already had finals for their first section.  CRAZY!  The first section has been described to me as a biology degree in five weeks.  Yikes!  Next up?  Musculoskeletal system and all that can go wrong with it.  Yippee!  JJ has thrown himself into a new health kick blaming his labs where they are practicing on each other.  He has three rotating lab partners, all of whom are women... enough said on that front!  JJ has joined many student groups to get to know his classmates but also network with local physicians and get to know different career paths and shadowing opportunities.  He came home one night rethinking orthopedic surgery.  I think it's good that he didn't go in with a set decision and can be open to awesome opportunities that come up and the one branch of medicine that will prove to be his best fit.     

2 comments:

Lyz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyz said...

Ok, JJ is a great cook and a great dad. And he'll probably be a great doctor. But it was those last 2 sentences that I loved the most!;)
(Deleted previous comment cause I slipped in a name...:)