Wednesday, December 1, 2010

(check) Lesson Learned

M has had a cough since Monday (I blame the "new" germies in ND!) and has been up at night because of it.  That is zero fun for anyone, especially since I worry about my little girl until I know she's back asleep.  Daddy and I each took a turn last night rocking her because she woke herself up crying and wasn't able to put herself back to sleep after a reasonable amount of time.  You know teethie meddies?  Called by their real name here...  Anyways - they have cold medicine.  We love their teething tablets so much we thought we couldn't go wrong with trying the cold medicine as well.  It does seem to help - and she's always much better during the day.  After hearing her cough all night last night I figured I should give her another does of medicine.  I kept telling myself - the next time she coughs - the next time she needs someone to hug her back to sleep - etc.  Well, finally at about 6 am I decided to make my move.  I should also preface this story with the fact that M looooooves to take medicine.  She immediately asks for more every time (so sad for her that she can only take one dose...) and sucks the dropper right down to the bottom. 

I went into her room after a coughing episode and found her asleep on her tummy.  (sleeping - should've been my first clue...)  I gently rubbed her back and asked if she wanted to take some meddies.  (no response - still sleeping soundly - should've let her continue sleeping) I, instead, lifted her up out of bed and proudly showed her the meddies I had for her.  She went slightly crazy.  She basically started swimming on the floor, crying, and saying, "no, no, no".  After many attempts to 1) calm her, and 2) get her to take the darn medicine so I could put her back to sleep, I started to have to go to the bathroom.  The child was not even letting me hold her - going limp and struggling free of me - so I decided to run to the restroom and maybe a little alone time would help.  She dashed from the room, heading for the living room, and I heard Daddy picking her up and talking to her.  She was telling him, "Sleep!  Sleep!"  He was able to put her back in bed where she fell back asleep for another hour before she woke up for the day.

I know I've done stupid parenting things in the past AND I know I will make several more mistakes before I'm done, but note to self: DO NOT WAKE A SLEEPING BABY. 

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Basic rule, silly mommy.:)