Friday, December 17, 2010

It's NOT about the presents!!

And about presents.  JJ and I really go back and forth on this one.  I am NOT all about the presents BUT I am all about the thought.  And I think a lot about people, ok?  : )  For example, the paras I work with.  Priceless gifts.  I could NOT do my job without them.  One of the other resource teachers (CM) put out an email asking if people wanted to do a potluck for them or something to show our appreciation.  Do you know what some people wrote back ??  They didn't have enough money... or para appreciation is in the Spring.  Are you kidding me?  I totally understand about the money (JJ wishes I understood just a little bit more) -- but it's NOT about the money.  Especially in a potluck.  Bake rice crispie bars or bring an easy salad... these ladies, of course, ARE participating in the staff Christmas party (with white elephant exchange) AND the "secret snowman" exchange.  Mmm-hmm.  Enough about that.  It just gets me going. 

So anyways, CM and I asked for WHOEVER was interested to pitch in about $5 or whatever they could spare and we went to Bath and Body Works and got some very lovely gifts --- I made them cards and will wrap them up with fun tags that say "Thanks for giving us a hand." (stolen from SIL LJ -- she said her kiddos traced their hands with the same message and gave lotions to their Sunday School teachers last year!  Supercute, huh?)

JJ's theory on presents is, "If you need something, go get it.  I'll give you something whenever I see that you need something." kind of a thing.  He's really not that Scroogish, but I think he tries to offset my abundant giving attitude a little.  His new line is, "What on EARTH are you going to be doing for Christmas when we actually have some money??!"  So speaking of presents, I asked for a new water bottle for Christmas (oops... I baked one of my other ones in the dishwasher) --- and he gave me a new one yesterday that is perfect!  BUT besides that, he also gave me a BEAUTIFUL necklace.  Have you seen the necklace he gave me for my very first Mother's Day?  It looks like this -- so lucky for me that JJ would be ok checking in on Sportsman's Guide!  Well, totally on his own, he found one with two kiddos.  Ok, makes me cry a little just thinking about it.  What a sweet, sweet man, who knows what I love ---- the THOUGHT behind a wonderful gift!  Next year maybe we'll work on the Christmas time line, but I'm also a sucker for, "Do you want your gift now?"  : )     

No comments: