Thursday, December 16, 2010

'Tis the Season

Christmas.  What does that word mean to you?  For me it's:
  • change all the decorations in the house!
  • bake tons of goodies (and try not to cause gestational diabetes with sugar overload)!
  • buy thoughtful presents and make even more!
  • listen to Christmas songs 24/7 --- remembering the "All Christmas, All the Time" radio station when JJ changes it!
  • read books/watch movies/talk to M about Baby Jesus and why this time of year is so special!
  • start new traditions -- but what?  
I want to create magical memories for my sweet daughter and I feel a lot of pressure (from myself) to do the right things so that this is a special time for her.

One thing we've done is buy a Little People Nativity -- every day she choose ONE MORE thing for the Nativity and we talk about it.  Of course she chose a bunch of the animals first (she LOVES animals) but then we got into the more significant roles.  I call M my precious angel sometimes, and it was so cute when she pulled the Angel from the box and after hearing what it was, declared it a "Precious Angel!"  Yesterday her "thing" was for us to put batteries in the manger.  Now, when the Angel is pushed down, it sings Away in a Manger and M insists that everyone get up and dance in circles like ballerinas.  (I've been kind and refrained from getting Daddy doing this on video...)  : )  I've taken pictures each day and plan to make M a little "My First Nativity Book"... possibly along the lines of "The 12 Days of Christmas"... ?  I don't know, but I have the pictures for whenever I'm ready for that step!

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a neat idea with the nativity! I have been trying to think of a way to teach my boys the Christmas story. I might have to steal your idea next year!

JJ and EJ said...

Hey Amy! You don't even need to steal it - I'll give it to you! : ) I don't know if it's helping, though, M's favorite song is "Santa Baby" right now...

Lyz said...

Good idea with the LP Nativity! I just threw mine at the kids and had them go at it. Of course, they pretty much know the story...but your way sounds more fun!

You could try my nativity forest next year, if you want. It's been fun so far!

Also, I may have to obsess about that nativity book when I get finished with the gifts at this house.:)