Friday, October 24, 2008

THE ULTRASOUND (Long Version)!

Words canNOT express how exciting that was! So here's a thorough recap:

I drank a ton of liquids all day (and had to go to the bathroom quite a bit!), and prepared my bladder for the big ordeal. I didn't "go" starting an hour until my appointment. We get there and get checked in and find the ultrasound area. We waited for maybe five minutes... it was great! Because seriously I had to go to the bathroom pretty badly. I told the ultrasound guy, "I'm so thankful you guys are running on schedule!" He was a pretty nice guy and asked us if we wanted to hear what was going on as he was doing it. I enthusiastically told him I wanted to know everything. He said some people don't, which I found interesting. He left the room to get something and I told JJ I was going to cry I was so excited. He was such a good husband and held my hand the whole time!

When tech guy got back, he asked before he did anything if we wanted to know the sex of the baby. He was also sure to inform us that he couldn't diagnose anything or give us any information on that side of things. Tech guy put towels above and below my tummy and put the gel on my tummy. It was very surprisingly warm. It actually felt pretty good! Then, we were off!

First some boring stuff, there's your bladder... oh, looking pretty full (yes, thankyouverymuch), there's some other stuff and blah blah blah oh! There's our baby! Oh my word! Our baby was sleeping and just floating around. It was so cute! The first things we saw were the baby's bum and legs. The way the baby was positioned, the baby was basically sitting on the ultrasound wand thingy. SOOOO next, he said, "I can clearly see the sex, are you sure you want to know?" Yes, yes please! "What do you think? Any guesses?" I said I had a wild guess it was a girl. He said I was right! D said, "Oh man!" (But he was so excited too!) Yup, our little girl is no shy cookie. He labeled one picture, "Looks like a girl!!" Then, we were on to the feeties and tootsies. So cute! Then, some organs. It is so cool how well we could see things. The tech guy was so great to go through things with us. We could see her heart beating, too. Then, he tried to get some other shots, but needed baby to move. So, he began kind of poking her with the ultrasound wand. All of a sudden - movement! Tons of it! She was touching her toes, and waving around and turning and twisting. I could feel it and see it! So amazing! Then, he tried turning her again so he could get a frontal picture of the heart. Baby was having none of it. He had me lay on my left side and was trying everything - was up in my ribs and around and all over, but he could not get a great shot of the heart. He said that it was nothing to be alarmed about, but the cardiologist would probably want to see better shots of the heart, so we would probably have to come back. Also, since our little one was all up and about, it was hard for him to keep it on the heart to get a good rhythm of the heartbeat, but I think he did accomplish that one. I kind of surprised myself in that I didn't cry! I was absolutely amazed and shocked and so in awe of this technology, but I was just so in the moment, I guess it just did not happen. The guy asked if we had any questions several times and the last time I did have one: "Where is the closest bathroom??!"

Yay for little B! We got to take home some great shots of her feet, hands, face (looks kind of like a creepy alien!), profile (my favorite! She's so cute already! It looks like she has chubby little cheeks!), and of course the "Looks like a girl!" shot.

I called quite a few people and JJ texted a whole bunch of people. He started getting incoming texts, so I looked at a few. Some were a bit weird and I got confused until JJ told me what he sent for a text: "We had our ultrasound today and we're having a baby girl monkey." Yup... that explains, for example, his sister S replying, "Jungletime! Yay!" So no more "its" for us -- it's all pink! : )

No comments: