Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Autism is fascinating

We have an autism room at our school where all middle school-aged kiddos with autism go. It's a pretty busy place, let me tell you, and it seems to be growing. A doctoral chemist (adjust glasses on nose) friend of mine said there's a possible corrolary between immunizations and autism, but that's just one theory. I had two of the students in my foreign language class last year. One kiddo, in particular, (we'll call him A) was just so "interesting". I don't know if using that word is appropriate, he is a child for goodness sakes, but still... For example, he would recite the French alphabet every day at the beginning of class, and then go on to other pretty patternized routines. If he was having a bad day, he'd definitely be sure to let us know: "It's not ok to spit! It's not ok to spit!" (while he was spitting around the room and heading for the door). Or: "Bad day! Bad day!" (as he tipped over desks and chairs)

I saw him this summer at a bowling alley and he made a reference to having a picture. I must have in some way showed a positive reaction, because every. single. day. he asks me if I have a photo. It's such a cute, crisp voice, "Mrs. J, do you have a photo?" It would be easy if it was just any old picture, but he has certain kids he wants in this photo, and certain things they will wear, and certain eye color, and certain hairdos. I wish I was a miracle worker, because every single day, several times a day, it's: "Mrs. J, do you have a photo?" And if I happen to circulate around the room and he sees me several times, each and every time he sees me he says, "Mrs. J, do you have a photo?" You see how this is becoming a problem...

I tried being really firm. "No, A, I don't have a photo. And I never will. It won't happen. I can't take a photo of those children." I tried to redirect: "A, when you see me, you can say, 'Hi Mrs. J.'" The very next morning, when I saw him in the hallway, he said, "HiMrs.J,doyouhaveaphoto?" It was like, I know what I'm supposed to say, but I just want to make sure I get it all out! His autism teacher has tried to do a social story with him: "I like pictures. Photographs are nice to have. I can ask a teacher for a photo once. If a teacher does not have a photo, it is not ok to ask again." Or something to that effect. I thought all this would either help, or else, he maybe would even just get sick of asking. I have ignored, also, by the way, but he just keeps getting louder until it's, "MRS. J, DO YOU HAVE A PHOTO???"

Friday, on my way out of work, a van is going through the parking lot. All of a sudden the window rolls down, and I hear, "Do you have a photo?" from the passenger side. His mother (JJ is convinced she was teasing me/joking with me), backs up so he can more clearly ask me the question.

I could write about his patriotic song stint with Mrs. W, but I may just have to save that for another post.

No comments: