Thursday, October 30, 2008

Refusal

I have a kiddo with severe ED (emotional disturbance) who is quite the character. Tuesday he came to school a bit late and since we are in the middle of testing, was asked to wait in the Media Center (new term for library). He refused. The secretaries just weren't quite sure what to do, so they called me in. Duh duh duh duuuuh! (like trumpets, not doomsday) Like I'm some superhero or something. Ok, I roll up my sleeves.

Me: "What's up bud?"
Student: "Nothing."
Me: "Did you get here kind of late this morning?"
Student: "Yeah."
Me: "So, where are you supposed to go?"
S: "I don't know. I'm not going anywhere."
M: "Oh, Hmm, well, that's not really a choice. The testing is over for the morning, so now everyone's in period 1. Ready to head down there?"
S: "No. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not doing any work today."
M: "Again, not a choice we have in school."
S: "I can make my own choices. You're not the boss of me."
M: "I can tell that you are frustrated. Here are your two choices right now, Student. 1) You can take a minute to yourself and we can head down to 1st period. 2) We can go talk to Mr. S. (VP) about why you are choosing to be insubordinate."
S: "Mr. S."

Mr. S.: "What's up Student?"
S: "I want ISS." (in school suspension)
Mr. S.: "Kids don't get to choose that. And frankly I'm a bit surprised. Kids usually try to avoid ISS. What is it about class that you don't want to go?"
S: "I just don't want to go today."

This continues for quite some time. Then, Mr. S. in a stroke of pure brilliancy: "What is frustrating you?" S: "Nothing. I don't know." Mr. S.: "Well, I get frustrated some days too, but I can point to what's happening. For example, when the Vikings lose, I get really frustrated."

S: TOTAL CHANGE IN ALL POSTURE, WORDS, EVERYTHING! "I get frustrated then too! What's up with their QB?" and he was all chit-chatty and then said, "Well, I'm going to get to class."

NOTE TO SELF: TALK ABOUT VIKINGS!

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Oh my goodness. This is hilarious. Sports is probably the way to go with all irritable males - just a guess. Also, that VP knows what he's doing.

Also, you are way more patient than I would have been - I would be all, "Yes I AM the boss of you, in fact!" Maybe that's why you have a Master's and I don't.:)