Tuesday, October 5, 2010

16 Week Appointment

It finally came!  My first appointment!  First of all, I could not have a better OB.  Love her.  Only downside I see is that she works three days a week - but she has kiddos that go to my school and she's often at my school days she's off (Wednesdays and Fridays -- so baby -- this is your Momma talking -- no funny business except possibly on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays).  Which, I guess doesn't do anything for ME except show that she's a committed Mom who loves her kids.

My adventure began running (of course) a little late out the door of school.  I knew *about* where I was going but had never been there before, so I plugged it into my "trusty?" Gar-Gar.  Sure enough, I was at the right spot, but Gar wanted me to go through a whole medical campus to get to my destination.  With one ways and random inlets, I decided the Garster was possibly being my ally this time and I followed the directions.  Right to a surgical center.  Not wanting surgery today, thank you, I did a u-ey in the parking lot and headed out.  I thought I saw a sign for the Women's Clinic, so headed back around the whole medical campus.  Fun times.  I was supposed to be 15-20 minutes early and was bordering on 10 at the moment... Saw the sign, which pointed me to... the surgery center.  I got out my very quickly jotted notes from when I set up the appointment and sure enough, the clinic WAS located in the surgery center.  I found a close parking spot and ran in.

Being the obedient preggo that I am, I was prepared.  Make that OVERLY prepared to pee in a cup.  So when I got in I asked the lady as demurely as one can in that situation if I could do that FIRST.  Seeing my desperation she sent me back there immediately.  When I returned after that fun experience she asked if I had all of my paperwork that they had sent me.  I told her no one had sent me any paperwork and she looked a little displeased.  She simply stated, "Well, you're going to have a lot of it then."

I sat down to begin my task.  First of all: four bubble sheets of history, including (which made me chuckle being the immature person that I am) if I have ever been sexually active.  Well, I AM pregnant with my second child... soooo...  Then insurance and OB history (liver problem - check, blood transfusion - check, blood pressure - check)... hey my past pregnancy gave me a more interesting history if nothing else.  While I was waiting in the waiting room I noticed that it was a half hour past my appointment time and then I was called back to the office.

The nurse was awesome - funny, kind, informative.  I even got a bag of goodies!  Woohoo - I'm a sucker for free stuff!  Then the doctor came in.  Like I said - she's awesome.  She told me there's hope after HELLP.  She said that many women have a very "normal" delivery after HELLP syndrome however there is a trend starting of it happening in subsequent pregnancies.  She assured me that all that meant is I would be watched VERY closely.  With that she gave me an official due date of March 20th and listened to the baby's heartrate.  I *think* it was 132 - something like that.  It sounded so strong and healthy!  Then she sent me for labs and... AND... an ultrasound!  Woohoo!  She said that since I was considered high risk with my last pregnancy she wanted to double check my due date and check to make sure everything looked good.

While I was waiting for my labs the nurse came back and gave me a flu shot.  Then I had four vials of blood drawn (where I heard all about the phleb's recent trip out of town with her dog...) and was ushered off to an ultrasound lady.  She got me prepped with the goo and away we went.  Oh.  My baby!  My precious baby!  She asked about finding out the sex and I said that we DEFINITELY want to find out - but that I wanted to share the experience with my husband, who was coming along to the next appointment.  She told me to look away a few times so I'm pretty sure she found out.  She did say that the baby had his or her little feet tucked up and the arms were crossed too - the baby was just all cuddled up.  I was tearing up because it is just SO amazing.  Even at 16 weeks you can see SO much - it's amazing!  She said, "Ooh!  Is this your first pregnancy?"  : )  No... but STILL precious!  : ) 

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Glad you're off to a good start. Do the US techs really think a preggo would only cry at her 1st child's US?! Silly silly :)

B6 Blogger said...

So happy to hear that everything is going well and that you found an awesome OB! That can take so much stress off the pregnancy. I can't wait to hear if baby #2 is going to be a boy or a girl!!!

The Elwells' Weekly said...

SO excited for you girl! Can't wait to hear what you are having and I know that this pregnancy is going to have absolutely NO issues in Jesus name! That stuff is a thing of the past! So here's to a fun and laid back pregnancy (and baby!)