Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cool Site/Program

My school district has this cool thing called "Parents as Teachers" that supports early childhood learning at home.  But, there are also play groups --- including one that meets on Saturdays every other week!  Two of my coworkers (plus kiddos), M and I went to a "jamboree" put on by the Parents as Teachers program.  This jamboree included a kiddo concert, which I wasn't sure M enjoyed at first.  She was so clingy and not her usual dancing self.  She even wanted to take a break and run around the cafeteria instead of staying, listening, singing, dancing and hanging out in the gym.  But, after we left, a few songs really stuck with her --- thankfully I had taken some video of her at the concert so we could at least listen to snippets to satisfy her requests for "Bright Light!" 

A friend of mine at school suggested checking out the Apple Tree website and basically getting to know the Parents as Teachers program better a long time ago, but it didn't sink in until I saw how much M enjoyed the songs.  This last weekend I finally checked out the website and found ALL SORTS of fun things!  If you live in the area, you need to take a look.  Hey - maybe even if you're not - I'm not sure if you can still make use of the great resources.  M loves the movies -- one of her favorites is "Mother Goose Rap".  Today she totally shut me down telling me to stop the rap (not the video of course, but my singing along!).

Each month has a new song, video, book, library list, sensory activity, family game, family fun, and parenting pointer (like how to use Mother Goose to teach important developmental skills). 

No comments: