Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Big Day!

Yesterday was a big day for the J fam.  Not only was it JJ's first day of med. school.  Epic.  But I also had a job interview (or three) and MVJ checked out daycare for the first time... evah...

JJ reported that his day was full of information.  He did get done two hours early, which was a huge blessing for him.  They got their white coats and a "free" shirt, which he and some classmates joked actually cost about $2000.  He also found out that they will be the only med school in the country with portable sonogram machines.  They met teachers, security staff, got their mailboxes, networked, learned about their lab groups (there are four groups - and people in your lab group are the ones you really get to know well in class) and it took about 45 minutes just to go through classmate introductions!  JJ put his back out Saturday so I was nervous for him and his long day, but he said that it felt ok throughout the day (thanks to an icyhot sticky pack).  I'm so proud of my hubby.  He has worked so hard to get here (and will work SO hard to get to the next step).  But here he is.  Livin' the dream!

I went to my interview at 9:00.  It was just the principal and I and she had a very casual approach.  Basically she puffed me up saying I had a great resume, had done excellent on the online personality test, and she would love to hire me.  It kind of threw me off my interview game-face!  : )  She told me, however, that she couldn't hire me - the district office would have to do that.  While I was there she called the special education department and told the lady on the phone about my past experience.  At one point she exclaimed, "I KNOW!  Don't let any other employers see this one!"  Yeah... feeling pretty good about myself at this point.  She said that someone from the special education department would call me later that day and she basically advised me to prepare for questions about parent communication, specific reading strategies, etc.  I drove home, logged on to the internet and by that time got a phone call.  (This was about 9:30). 

The lady introduced herself as the elementary schools special ed. coordinator and did ask me about things I was familiar with: AIMSweb, data collection, parent communication, etc.  She asked if I had any questions and I asked her a few that she happily answered.  She told me that things looked great, but that she couldn't hire me - the district office would have to do that.

Soooo then about a half hour later I got a phone call from the district office asking me if I could come in tomorrow.  I told them my daughter was trying out a daycare today so IF possible today would be a better day.  She said, "Yes!  That makes sense!  How about 11:30?"  She also said that I should bring my transcript and teaching license.  I began to feel like this would be more of a formality - double check that I was qualified, etc.

I arrived at the district office at 11:00.  Oops!  I thought it might have taken me longer to get there.  I made myself stay in the car, looking over my resume to prepare myself, until 11:15.  I got to the office and waiting until at least 11:30, at which point the director of human resources came to great me.  At the same time a young lady came through the front door and introduced herself as the coordinator I had spoken to on the phone.  She said she just wanted to put a face to a name.  I also saw this as a good sign.  : )

The director of HR had a ginormous stack of papers in his lap and explained that he had some questions to ask to see if this would be a good fit for both of us.  I got a little nervous thinking about answering all. those. questions.  But, he got started - and honestly I can only describe my responses as having divine providence.  I was impressed with myself!  I would've totally hired myself.  At the end of about eight questions, he looked up and said, "Well, NL (principal from earlier in the day) thinks you'd be a great fit and so do I.  Welcome to BVSD."

WOOHOO!!!  The rest of the stack of papers were things like my I-9, W4, payscale, benefits, etc.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, Y-E-A-H!  Oh!  AND because I teach in a hard-to-fill area (special ed.) I got a signing bonus!  How crazy is that?!  Have you EVER heard of bonuses of ANY kind in education?!  Me neither...  : )

The rest of the day I spent trying to get my paperwork filled out for the district as well as get a KS teaching license.  I got a TB test, scheduled fingerprinting, ordered two sets of official transcripts, contacted my past employer to verify employment, contacted my past university to verify my degree and qualifications... uffda!!  The crazy thing is I start THIS FRIDAY.  Woah!

But honestly.  Honestly the very best part of my day was right after my third interview I called MVJ's daycare to check on her.  The director said, "When kiddos check out a new daycare for the first time, they are usually reserved, don't want to eat, don't want to join in, etc.  NOT your child.  She has been playing, and dancing, and doing art, and she ate her whole lunch."  I just about cried right there on the phone.  I was so proud of my little peanut.  When I came to pick her up later that afternoon (hey, she was fine, I might as well get my stuff done so I could enjoy her the rest of the week!) she was so happy to see me but not like, "GET ME OUT OF THIS PLACE".  She had a picture taken doing an art project.  The theme this month is "water" so they used sponges to put blue paint on paper and then "drew" (with a teacher's help) fishies out of foam (that the teacher cut out).  On our way out as I held her paper, she said, "Fish." and the whole way home I swear she told me all about her day and the friends that she met. 

I can't believe my baby is getting so big.  She makes me so proud and I love her more than I thought was possible.  She had a great evening at home and fell right asleep at  bedtime (and is still sleeping!!). 

We are DEFINITELY feeling blessed as a family.  God definitely went before us and prepared the way for us.  As I left my third interview, with a job, I chucked to myself as I told God he was probably laughing at me as I sweat it out yesterday so worried about preparing myself for my big day.  He totally had it in the bag.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erica - that is so incredibly awesome for you!!! As a recruiter, I know how long it takes for some people to get a new job and you definitely rocked it! I'm so glad Maddie is happy with her new daycare too! Things are working out so well for all of you!
Lotsa love - Megs

The Elwells' Weekly said...

I am seriously SOOOO happy for you all and super proud of you! I knew God had a plan for you to prosper and this is just the beginning! :) Can't wait to hear more about the journey! :)

JJ and EJ said...

Thanks guys!! : )

Lanae Brown said...

I almost got teary eyed reading your post about how well Mads did at daycare! I know that feeling of utmost pride when they conquer something new, what a brave girl! Sounds like all is going well and I hope you had a good first day today! Have a wonderful weekend!