Wednesday, August 11, 2010

18 Months...

... oh where did the time go?!

My baby girl turned 18 months this week.  I simply canNOT believe it and yet it's true.  Time keeps on a'moving.  Of course we want her to grow and develop and learn new things.  It's just always this juxtaposition of reminiscing about the past, longing for the future (when she will listen and understand the word, "No"... or wait... does that ever happen??), and being content in the present.

Let's see.  MVJ is full of spunk as always.  She runs from here to there and is enjoying the extended space of our new apartment.  I put her CD player on the floor in her room... oops... I may have to find another spot for that.  But her new mission in life is to find more CDs.  I have found SUCH random stuff under the lid of that CD player -- all of them discs -- but not many of them CDs.  Let's see - just yesterday I found the movies, "Caddy Shack" and "In Love and War" (interesting choices girlfriend...) and the disk used in connection with our wireless internet.

She is still our champion eater (most of the time) but we know exactly when she is done because she starts throwing things overboard.  How do you deal with that one??  Besides trying to be done before that happens.  It's tough to judge - I want to give her ample time to eat as much as she wants until she's full, but I do NOT like cleaning food off of the carpet.  We tried getting a mat to go underneath, but it is worthless- we basically have to readjust it every single time.  Now I'm in the market for a mat used for computer chairs.  They usually have grippy things to hold them down, no?

With daycare, MVJ is doing so wonderfully.  I am so proud of her.  It just reaffirms for me that this is OK.  I'm not torturing my child and dooming her to a life of ill-fate.  Yesterday when I dropped her off there were tears as I pulled into the parking lot, but I talked her through it.  When I dropped her off with her teacher, she barely sniffled.  When I picked her up, her teacher informed me that there were tears in the morning for a brief time, but she just put on some music and MVJ started dancing her cares away.  She's been taking progressively longer naps each day at daycare and that has helped tremendously with our play time in the evening!  She's been doing art every day and that is so much fun to see!  Oh what to save?!!  I want to keep IT ALL!

Speaking of dancing, MVJ has developed her own style.  She TOTALLY looks like a snowboarder when music comes on.  I think it's time for one of her uncles to invest in some baby equipment because this girl is ready to ride.  We got it on video (a few times!) - I'll try to put it on fb.  I am giggling just thinking about it!

Uhoh!  I hear her!  Already this morning?!  Could be a long day!  I'll post more later!  : )  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the food overboard, I'm trying to teach my little guy not to do it too. If I tell him not to and he continues to do so, I take the food away and turn his highchair to the corner. He sits there screaming for 30-60 seconds depending on how long I can take it. Then we move on, usually take a bit of hugs and lovin' before he's happy again. Hasn't really fixed the problem yet, but we've just started.

CLJ

JJ and EJ said...

CLJ! Thanks for the comment! So happy to know you're checking in! : )

Yes, I remember you sharing about that. We should give her less at a time so it is easier to take it away. I think that is a good strategy - plus turning her around. I'm interested to see how she would react to that...

Let me know how things go!!

--EJ