Friday, September 12, 2008

First IEP (CHECK!)

Yay! I completed my first IEP meeting! Woohoo! Oh, I suppose I should clarify what an IEP is. It stands for Individualized Education Plan and it basically tells everything there is to know about a kiddo, what goals the kiddo has that we monitor the progress of, what accommodations the kiddo needs to be successful, if the kiddo can participate in state assessments and to what extent, how many minutes in the classroom/out of the classroom the kiddo needs and how many minutes (at least) the kiddo will be served during the year, ETC! Phew! It's a doozy, very legal and so, so important that we get the right stuff down.

The parents I worked with for my first one "on my own" were the best there could've been. They were awesome! They gave input, shared things from home ("we're seeing this in school" -- "yes, yes, we see this and this to back that up at home"), and gave a lot of personal information that would definitely be factors in this kiddo's life and learning experience. They were kind. They were friendly. They were talkers (it lasted a good hour and a half). And then, my principal, bless her heart, went over my strengths and weaknesses. She was like, oh, it was your first one? Let's talk about it. It was definitely nice to debrief, but it was 6:00 by the time I left. Softball was completely over (oops, sorry guys!) and it was time for this baby mama to get some FOOD! : )

1 comment:

Lyz said...

I highly recommend the fruit & nut granola bars at Sam's Club. I used to keep them EVERYWHERE.