Monday, September 8, 2008

First IEP call

I have an IEP due (my first one on my own!) at the end of next week, so I called the parent to see when she might be able to come in. I was a bit nervous about calling too late with the date looming ahead of me. She said, "How about tomorrow?" Woah! I guess this may be easier than I thought! Although I had to hold her off until Thursday so we could get some materials ready (not to mention figuring out this new computer system the district is using for special education).

I wish I had a cute anecdote of kids at school, but I have been so overwhelmed with getting organized at work that I am in and out of classrooms. One kiddo that I've been giving pipe cleaners to as a "fiddle" -- something he can put his energy into rather than distracting others -- had a great day today so that was awesome! I rewarded him by not spending every minute that I was in the classroom tapping on his back (ok, this is a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point). Another kiddo has a new baby sister, so that is superexciting in her life. She spends weekends with her dad where this new baby lives. I'm also organizing with an outside agency for a kiddo in a treatment facility. I feel like I haven't really had a chance to "settle into" this position. It is here and I don't always feel ready for it!

No comments: