Monday, August 31, 2009

Grandma Time!

Last week JJ got to follow a D.O. surgeon for two days. It was an awesome opportunity and he learned a lot. I think he got re-pumped up about why he's been putting all this work and effort into this far out there goal of his. (Oh, and quick sidenote: he's already gotten responses from three schools asking for follow-up applications. Woohoo! God is GOOD!)

So, it was awesome that JJ could do that... but... we don't have a backup babysitter! He's IT. I called my Mom as soon as we found out the dates and begged, pleaded and promised JJ's cooking if she could make it work to come babysit for two days. Well, turns out I didn't have to pull out all of my big guns -- she made it happen and was so excited. In fact, she had her bags packed a full TWO days before heading out!! : )

MVJ has had a bout of the Stranger-Dangers, so we were a bit nervous. Grandma K arrived the night before just to have miss MVJ refamiliarize herself with her. Turns out MVJ was ready for sleepytime when she got to our house, so she was C-R-A-B-B-Y and had the yellies. I was so nervous. The next morning... more yellies and cries. Oh boy! Poor Grandma. It was going to be a looooong day. I called as soon as I got a chance -- I think it was lunchtime. Grandma reported that they were having an awesome day. What??! Miss MVJ had officially turned it around and warmed right up to Grandma. Praise the Lord!! She took a nice nap and Grandma even took her for a long walk. It just made my day knowing how well they were bonding! Grandma brought her to my work because it was Open House day so I wouldn't be home until a little after 7pm. Yuck.

The next night, MVJ went down at like 6:45. We couldn't keep her awake! Grandma decided that JJ and I should go out to eat -- take advantage of 1) MVJ sleeping and 2) Grandma there! So, she twisted our arms ; ). We went out (blew our eating out budget... but sometimes you have to celebrate!) and had a wonderful time where JJ could recap his adventures in the OR. We got home and went right to bed (we're such wild and crazy kids) expecting to have to get up a little while later with MVJ. To our utter amazement, she slept through the night... right up until 6:15 the next morning -- a full 11 and 1/2 hours since she went down! I fed her, changed her, and she went right back to sleep for another two hours! It was fabulous!

The next night? A full night's sleep again! 10 hours of pure sleeping bliss. We have no idea what turned it around, but we decided that MVJ was just completely worn out from grandma-sitting. : ) As I type this, MVJ has been sleeping for about 5 minutes. Hopefully she decides to keep up her perfect streak!

No comments: