Monday, August 25, 2008

The Omnivore's 100

The Omnivore's Hundred

Lora's Recipes and later a fellow blogger Beth posted a note about the Omnivore's Hundred and it seemed like a lot of fun. You'll see how LIMITED my taste buds are!! I've bolded the ones I've tried. There are some links to Wikipedia that are underlined.

The Omnivore’s Hundred
Here’s a chance for a little interactivity for all the bloggers out there. Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.

Here’s what I want you to do:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating. --- hmmmm --- not exactly sure how to cross items out without Word, so I'll just put a big fat x by them
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding X
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp (in my younger days when I loved tarter sauce enough to try a bit of fish here and there)
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari I know! I can't believe it either! I was at a $100/plate New Year's party with a friend in Vale, and her Dad wanted me to try it. What would you do??
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart... I don't think from a street cart, but from everywhere else!
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle X
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes - yum-o!
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras X
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese X
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters X
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float (mmmmm)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar X
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (shhh! I can't believe this one either....)
39. Gumbo (Mmm, Josh makes a delicious sans seafood Gumbo!)
40. Oxtail X
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects X (unless I happened to end up like Survivor Man)
43.
Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu X
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel X
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin X
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone X
54. Paneer X
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads X
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs X
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis X
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette X
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe X
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill X
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail X
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum - Thanks to TA!
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare X
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse X
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab X
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish X
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake X

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Hmm, I think our lists might be pretty similar, actually.

Except I may have an X by sauerkraut. I hope my German grandpa doesn't disown me.