Monday, April 18, 2011

Top Ten: M's Books

A friend did a similar post and I loved it!  Here's my Top Ten List of M's books!  I had to be careful to think of MY 10, not necessarily M's, but when she gets excited about a book, it's hard not to get caught up in that excitement!

A Night Night Prayer
This was the first book I can remember M responding to -- like, "Where's the puppy?" and she would point to it.  We used to read this one every night until she was old enough to choose books for herself.  This was a gift from my dear friend, AO.



This Little Light of Mine
I love this one because apparently I used to sing this song at the top of my lungs holding out my little finger like my light.  M enjoys it too, and she IS a singing aficionado.  However, now when we take this book out, she only lets me read the words, not sing them.  If I start singing, she puts her little hand on my arm and sternly says, "No Mommy."  I bought this from a book order.

Counting Kisses
I love reading this with M because she is so smart and is working on her numbers, but also because we count the "kissies" by making kissy noises with our fingers.  The last one always gets a long, loud kissy that makes M erupt in giggles.  M got this one from Auntie K.  

I Love You Because You're You
This is actually just a good reminder for me.  Even when she's being a stinker, I DO love her so much.  This is such a sweet book!  This is sad - I know this was a gift for M, but it was either from BB (dear old upstairs neighbor) or NW (a sweet friend I used to teach with). 
 
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
You should ALL know this one, and if you don't - shame on you!  Go check it out!  I love Eric Carle's stories because they are just so gorgeous.  This one made the list because I laugh EVERY time we start reading it.  The very first time I read this with M, I started out, very soothingly, "In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf."  Promptly M replied, "Eat it!"  (She is my little egg-eater!)  This was also a book order find.

Corduroy
I love Corduroy just because of how M participates in the reading of it.  She feels so sad for poor Corduroy, and also has some lines memorized which makes it that much more fun, too.  Examples: "Not today dear," her mother sighed. "Now who in the world did that!" he exclaimed.  "Somebody must be hiding around here!"  I also love Corduroy because it's so classic.  This was a $1 book order find!  : )  What can I say?  I love the book orders...

Llama Llama Red Pajama
Llama Llama was a favorite of our upstairs neighbors in GF.  I was always amazed and impressed with their oldest daughter's ability to "read" the story and now I have those same feelings as M does the same thing!  The cute rhymes make this book so sweet.  I wasn't sure at first about this one because it deals with the Little Llama being worried while going to sleep and I certainly didn't want to introduce those feelings to M (as in being scared of the dark, etc.), but so far M focuses on a) when Little Llama drops his stuffed animal and b) this beautiful line: "Little Llama don't you know, Mama Llama loves you so?  Mama Llama's always near, even if she's not right here."  Well, she's been known to bust this one out there when she wants Mama to be doing something with her but Baby Brother is crying: "Baby Llama, what a tizzy!  Sometimes Mama's very busy.  Please stop all this llama drama and be patient for your mama."  You guessed it, another book order.

Little Rabbits' First Farm Book
M loves animals so we have quite a few farm/animal books.  This one just has so many components -- it's a good one!  First of all, the rabbits show what jobs there are on the farm.  Then there is of course the animal part (complete with sounds they make as well as animal families with names -- I had forgotten a daddy duck is a drake for example).  There's also products from the farm and even an activity page at the end.  M's lines from this book include, "Don't fall in the water brown rabbit!" and "Hold on tight black and white rabbit!"  This book came for M from my aunt R and uncle D.



Snappy Little Farmyard
More animals to love -- and these pop out!  This one is very, very special because it comes from my Grandma's book collection from the farm.  My aunt R and uncle D chose to collect them when my Grandma passed away and it seems like they've been distributing them as special gifts when there are new arrivals to the family.  Such a sweet and precious gift! 

It's Okay to Be Different
I've written about this one before.  I LOVE this book.  I love that it celebrates everyone's differences in a bright, fun way.  M reads this one on her own now and LOVES the part about eating macaroni and cheese in the bathtub.  I LOVE when she picks out different "people" in the story because the drawings are all funky.  Really, sweetie, you think that one is Mommy?  Which one is DADDY??  ; )  She also has an "Uncle Will" and "Grandma" that she picks out every time.  I bought this one from Amazon after a classmate talked about this one in a behavior class.

Phew!  I hope you enjoyed my list as much as I did!  Now get out a find a new book at the library!

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Love it! I'll have to make a note of it and try it myself!:)