Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mastitis and Me

I feel like I did a post like this... oh... about two years ago.  Boo.  I have mastitis again.  Sorry if that is TMI (like for my BROTHER WJK who was a little offended that I posted about it on facebook!).  : )  I don't know what it is but I really enjoy talking about medical issues.  My hubby being in med. school?  Starting off pre-med myself in college?  My mom being in the medical field my whole life?  My love of the show ER until it turned into a big soap opera (same goes for Grey's Anatomy)?

Anyways.  If you'd rather not hear/read about my medical issues, you can stop reading this post... now!  : )

Tuesday about 3 am I knew, just knew I had mastitis.  Grrrr.  I was angry.  I waited patiently for my doctor's office to open and called the scheduler.  She was sort of all sassy and said, "Well, Dr. H. does NOT usually take same day appointments."  I must've sounded pathetic enough when I said, "My son will be four weeks old tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I've developed mastitis and am pretty miserable."  She quickly said, "I'll put you back to her nurse and see what she can do!"

The nurse took down my information and called me back about an hour later saying she had called in a prescription for me.  I picked it up, quite a while later, because CVS was confused about the order since it wasn't emailed in, only called in.  Oh dear.  We may become Walgreens customers from now on!

So anyways, I was feverish and sore all Tuesday.  I should also note that M was amazing.  I was worried that she would be a handful when I was down and out, but she was so good!  C on the other hand was a bit fussy, but it helped me that he would nurse a bit more often anyways.  I took my temp. and it was right around 100, so nothing major.  That evening I had a bad case of the chills.  Ugh!  To give you an idea, I was wearing a tank top, shirt, long-sleeve shirt, yoga pants, fuzzy socks and THREE blankets to bed and my teeth were chattering uncontrollably I was so cold.

Yesterday I woke up feeling much better, but by about 11:00 I was back to feeling yucky.  I took my temp that afternoon and it was past 101.  So last night instead of chills I was treated with sweats.  I soaked through three different t-shirts as I slept with one measly blanket.  This morning I'm feeling better again but am going to try to take it easy so I can stay feeling better!  I know that this medicine takes a while to fully kick in - and my doctor (well her nurse anyways) said to call if I didn't feel better after 36 hours.       

No comments: