Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Big Happy Easter!!

We love holidays here at the J house and Easter is no exception.  This Easter was extra special because J's brother A, SIL L, and kiddos L, B and A took the plunge and drove to visit us.  I get excited to have visitors even though I am a terrible host.  I try, but being a hostess just doesn't seem to be my thing.  Despite my flaws : ), we still had a good time! 

They arrived Thursday evening and I started my hosting extravaganza by making them guinea pigs to two new recipes!  Nice, huh?  The turkey sandwiches were a bit on the fake Velveeta cheesy side, but otherwise OK and the "broccoli pie" was an egg bake!  Who knew?  JJ said I should've since it  called for three eggs... oooooh... : )  I'm learning!  M was in second heaven with THREE, count 'em THREE cousins to play with plus an adoring auntie and uncle to love up and play with.  I thought she did a fairly good job sharing her toys, everyone got to meet baby C and we got a little catch-up time in before they headed out to check into their hotel for the night.

Friday morning we went to their hotel for some swimming.  JJ decided to skip school that morning since it was "just three lectures" and he got in some swim time too.  M was a bit hesitant --- especially with her life jacket on.  I found out that the strap was super tight under her bottom (oops... I think it was not loosened from last summer...).  We got it fixed and after some prodding, she was back at it.  When she saw cousin A (22 mo.) without his life jacket on, she decided THAT was for her and Daddy helped her swim around.  That wasn't quite enough either -- she kept saying "M do it herself."  So, in the end, Daddy convinced her to help him swim and it was all good!  : )  We HAD to hit up Panera for lunch because A & L are big fans --- and of course we need our arms twisted so much to go out to eat!  ; )  We learned that cousin A is a marathon sleeper -- seriously -- 3 hours + for naps -- when he takes them!  The kids played at our house until A woke up and then it was off to a local park to play.  The weather wasn't the best -- cool and a little windy.  I swear, we do have nice weather here, it's just that when our families visit from ND they bring either snow or rain...

Saturday we hit up Deanna Rose, our favorite local farmstead!  Animals, gardens, clues to solve, playgrounds, oh my!  It did seem there was something for everyone (well, almost everyone - poor B was not having the best day, and later we learned that he was running a fever).  Even C did a nice job until the VERY end when we had to make a fast move to the car for some foodies.  The boys and kids picked up Chik-fil-a for lunch (L's request and J's personal favorite fast food place) and brought it home.  All kids napped/had quiet time except for Mr. A who was just having none of it.  He did play well quietly -- just no nap.  The boys golfed in the afternoon and the girls (plus baby C) did some shopping.  At Old Navy, I made money (don't you think JJ should let me shop more often??!).  I'll tell you about that tomorrow!  : )  CLIFF HANGER!  ; )  We picked up some classic Oklahoma Joes for supper and enjoyed each other's company until bedtime (or a little past...).  : )

Sunday morning came bright and early with an Easter brunch at our Church at 9.  It was DELICIOUS!  I have NOT been able to get my eating under control -- this nursing thing is requiring a lot of calories, yes, but I eat ALL THE TIME.  Anyways, yummy brunch!  Then A's family met us for Church at 10:15.  The tables were still set up from the brunch so the Church setting was quite casual.  I don't know... this is definitely MY personal problem, but I had trouble getting in the worshiping "mood" or mind set.  I've taken some personal time today to reflect on Easter and the message from the Pastor, but at the time I really struggled being able to fully take in the pivotal Resurrection meaning this morning.  After Church we came back for some pictures and food, a little more chatting and play time and then it was time for the AJ family to hit the road.  M was ready to leave too, poor thing.  Tomorrow will be the roughest for her when she realizes her playmates and object of affection (Uncle A) aren't around.  She did pray for them to get home, but I don't know if she totally realizes they're gone.

We're so looking forward to July when we get to spend more time with A, J, and their kids (who are SO BIG).  Seriously, who told them they could grow up so quickly?!    

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Well, I certainly didn't tell the kids to get bigger!;)

We are so looking forward to July,with more time for baby cuddle and hopefully some non-kid time, too!

Love you guys, and thanks for your hospitality!