Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Recipes

Since I am SUCH an accomplished chef, I thought I'd share some recent recipe favs!  These are for you, TH -- you can do it!!  You know if I can, anyone can!  : )

Amazing Meat Loaf
1/2 c. ketchup, divided
2 lbs. ground beef
2 eggs
2/3 c. dry quick oats
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

1.  Reserve 2 TBSP. ketchup.  Combine ground beef, eggs, dry oats, soup mix, and remaining ketchup.  Shape into loaf.  Place in slow cooker.
2. Top with 2 TBSP ketchup.
3. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 2-4 hours.


Apricot-Glazed Carrots
2 lbs. baby carrots
1 onion, chopped (I put a few onion flakes in, but skipped this part)
1/2 c. water (I put WAY more in!)
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. apricot preserves
2 TBSP. chopped fresh parsley

1. Place carrots and onions in slow cooker.  Add water.
2. Cover and cook on Low 9 hours.
3. Drain liquid from slow cooker.  (Oops... I didn't do this!  Unless JJ did.... maybe that's why they seemed water logged!)
4.In a small bowl, mix honey and preserves together.  Pour over carrots.
5. Cover and cook on high 10-15 mins.
6. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.


Andes Mint Cookies
 Seriously... best I've had in a long time!  Recipe courtesy of my friend, CJ.  Mmmmm!

2 boxes of Devil's food cake
1 cup oil
4 eggs
2 pkg of Andes mints (you'll need about 1 1/2 packs)
*Also, with the mints, the Creme de menthe ones are better than the Parfait mints because the chocolate layers will melt better and they taste the same in the end.

Mix all items together. (This is the only instruction I got. I used a hand mixer until it was all consistently wet, it was a bit "grainy" looking)
Scoop onto cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop to get uniform size and I got 44 cookies.

Cook at 350 F for 10-12 minutes.
Immediately after removing from oven place an andes mint on the cookie. After a few minutes spread it with the back of a spoon. Transfer to a cooling rack, (I have transferred them before adding the mint and it was okay, but this time when I tried, the cookies themselves were too soft and they just needed an extra minute on the cookie sheet, that's why I transferred them after adding the mint.)

Almond Cookies
*Yum-o! Recipe courtesy of my SIL, LJ.

1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. baking cocoa
3 t. almond extract
1 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda

In a mixing bowl, beat butter, sugars, cocoa and extracts until creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to sugar mixture.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls two inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at 375 for 7-9 mins. or until edges are firm.  Remove to wire racks to cool.   

1 comment:

jillg said...

and CJ got the cookie recipe from JG! :) A friend of mine shared it with me and they are a hit in our family!