Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cause for pause...

If you're not quite sure where in the world I live, you'll get some major clues with this post!  The other day I was at Walmart and was startled to see a woman in a full burka (even the screen part over her eyes).  It just startled me and made me think about the reasons why someone would want to cover her entire body.  I just immediately jump to an overbearing, demanding husband.  Someone who wants to control every part of his wife's actions.  Leaving the woman with little to now identity of her own. 

But, then JJ reminded me of the opposite.  What about these chickies running around scantily clad?  This woman definitely was the opposite of that, possibly making a statement to rebel against the changing fashions and a society that considers these things acceptable.  

Was it a social statement?  A religious obligation?  A requirement passed down from a strict husband or family?

Whatever it was, it sure made me stop and think.

No comments: