Friday, May 21, 2010

MVJ's 15 month check up!

MVJ is 15 months... sigh... SO NOT a baby anymore.  We went to the doctor on Friday armed with a list of questions for our doc.  I was never in the habit of doing this until I realized I would forget to ask half of the questions I had when I got in there.  I'm sure most pediatricians (oh, and JJ!) would cringe at my list, but I always think it doesn't hurt to ask.  I ask people's opinions all the time - why not?  It's good to get another perspective or in any case become more solid in my own beliefs, right?  And why would I NOT consult an expert for my very questions?  

MVJ was a squirmy wormy.  JJ announced, "She's tired and she's hungry."  Grrrreat.  I mean, no matter what time you plan the appointments, it's going to fall at a bad spot.  We purposefully planned the appointment for later in the day- after her afternoon nap and before supper so that she would be, in fact, neither tired nor hungry.  However, being the stinker she is, she decided to NOT take an afternoon nap and refused to eat snack before they left.

Anyways, the first nurse we had, the one that weighed and measured the Little Miss was quite abrupt.  I'm sure she means well, AND c'mon... 3:30 on a Friday is probably NOT the ideal time to catch a kiddo nurse at her best.  Of course her measurements are out in our van... but she was 25th percentile for both weight and height.... and 75th for head circumference.  What can we say?  She has a J head.  : )  Update: found the slip!  29 7/8 inches for height, 21 lbs. 8.3 oz. for weight, and 18 1/2 inches for head!

We were brought into a temporary room (apparently things are movin' and shakin' late Friday), where MVJ tried every trick in the book to escape said room.  She also stuffed her face with animal crackers at this point (good thing they weighed her first... jeez...).  Then a little while later we headed into one of our doc's regular rooms.  MVJ was (thankfully) attracted to the sealife portrayed on the walls and we could keep her distracted for the time it took Dr. Z to bop into our room.

Basically, she's good to go.  Our biggest concern was her frenulum -- her upper lip frenulum (you know - that cord you feel when you put your tongue way up on the outside of your front teeth) -- well, hers is attached right below her gums between her front two teeth.  We never noticed; we figured her gap was a classic Grandpa J trait (that JJ had removed through braces!).  Other people (well, two in our family) have mentioned that we should probably have it snipped.  If that were the case, I wanted it done much sooner than later!  Anyways, Dr. Z wasn't concerned in the least.  She even suggested it had been moving upward.  In any case, she said a dentist would decide later -- and dentists in our area won't take kids under 2.  So, I guess we'll have to wait that one out.

But all in all, MVJ is a good eater, a good sleeper, a good walker, starting to be a little talker.  Basically, we're waiting for the other shoe to drop (is that the saying? the other foot to fall?  Something like that??) when she hits... duh duh duuuuuuh TODDLER years.  Yipes!

No comments: