Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Eyes Have It

I made an eye appointment before school started -- got to get all those appointments out of the way, you know. I have been shopping around for eye docs since we've moved here. I started at JCPenneys, because I got a discount at the time. It was ok. I moved on to this other place where I could get a discount for working for the public schools. I did not really enjoy that place. I thought the doctor was rude, to tell you the truth. So now I ended up at Target, with a referral from WS, a friend at work. I have finally found my local eye doc! I thought she was fabulous - friendly, professional, knowledgeable, and thorough, yet quick. She asked a lot about my eyes with regards to my pregnancy and even took the time to learn more about the HELLP syndrome because she said preeclampsia can affect the eyes. Anyways, some things I learned from my most recent eye check up:

*My optic nerve is angled slightly different - my doc said not to worry because:
*The back of the eye is like a fingerprint, everyone's is a little different. This COULD affect me when I get older though - I could be at higher risk for cataracts, or they could be worse, or something.
*I do have slight astigmatism. She said it's not bad enough to get tork lenses, but:
*My eyes take longer to focus on new things. (So THAT'S why JJ can always read license plates before I can... he always gives me "eye tests" because he likes to tease me for having such poor eye sight while he has fairly good sight.)
*My eyes got worse. Whuuu whuuuuuu (Debbie Downer). That sucks. I thought I had pretty much leveled out at -4.75, but no. I'm now at a -5 in each eye. The good news is both eyes are still the same prescription.
*The first thing we'll do with our inflated bank account when JJ is a rich and famous surgeon? Well... maybe not the first but maybe like in the top 100... I'd love to get lasik surgery!

2 comments:

Rhubarb and Venison said...

Hello! Beth from Rhubarb and Venison! Check out my last post - you got the $10 gift card! Can you send me an address to ship it to? Email: rhubarbandvenison@hotmail.com. Thanks so much for reading, and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Lyz said...

Congrats on the gift card! So fun!

My astigmatism is now severe enough to get a toric lense. Boo. But I have decided that I am going to take the lasik plunge, even though it totally freaks me out.

Need to see that Miss M again soon!