Thursday, August 7, 2014

Tangy Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes are a total standard on my meal plan.  I am not a huge meat fan (as evidenced by my doc putting me on iron supplements!), but I love me some sloppy joes.  Alongside potato chips dipped in ketchup and pickles, and I'm good to go.  Yum.  In the past I've used a spice packet, but I had several recipes saved so I decided to try one the other day.  Oh my goodness.  Yum.  Yum.  A thousand times yum.  And easy.  So try this Tangy Sloppy Joe recipe from some old recipe magazine.  :)

Tangy Sloppy  Joes
Prep/Total Time: 30 mins.

1 pound ground beef
1/2 c chopped celery
1/3 c chopped onion
2 T chopped green pepper
1 c ketchup
1/2 c chili sauce
1 T sugar
1 T brown sugar
1 T cider vinegar
2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
buns
(and pickles and potato chips with ketchup.  obviously.)

In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.

Stir in the ketchup, chili sauce, sugars, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.  bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins.  Serve on buns.  6 servings.

(Can be frozen.)

No comments: