Sunday, August 3, 2014

FRIENDS!!!!!!!

So the kids and I have been getting to know our new city and staying busy, but the one thing I kept coming back to was friends.  Our families have been wonderful and we've gotten to spend a ton of time together, but there's something about friends.  Although, as cousin A told C today in the car, "You're more than my cousin.  You're my friend."  Heart.  Melted. 

I have been introduced to lots of people lately and I started to come to the realization that I was being a little too hard on these "newbies".  Of course they're not going to be just like the relationship I had with my bestie in college (even our relationship has changed over the years - it should've!  We've changed, our families have changed, our locations have changed, our priorities have changed.).  Or the relationships I had with great friends in KS, because it took some time and TLC to cultivate those relationships.  In fairness, I needed to give these newbies a chance and had to actually put some effort into the relationship.  I had to set up some play dates.  Ask some questions.  Answer theirs.  Get to know them. 

So, I am happy to report that in putting myself out there, I have gotten to know some really great people!  And the kids are happy to have some new playmates too!  We all miss our buddies in KS, but it is good to continue the"settling in" process, socially/emotionally as well.

No comments: