Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

I haven't written in forever!  It hasn't been for lack of topics to write about!  I'm going to *try* a short recap - especially of Thanksgiving... and it may need to go into a few segments!  ; )

We took our first trip up north since moving to KC in July.  I was apprehensive of the drive to say the least especially since we wanted to hit the road Tuesday night.  We packed up and set out with the intention of driving the whole way unless we absolutely couldn't stay awake OR if M was either crazy or just plain not sleeping.  I took the first shift (the easier one) because the car makes me SLEEPY and if I slept first I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to wake up enough to drive. 

We picked up some McD's on the way out -- JJ set up our meals and we sang some tunes and then M was out.  JJ soon followed and I drove until we were on E (Sioux Falls, SD).  When I stopped (around 11:30ish), M woke up and J gave her a quick diapey change.  She had a little water and a little snack and was back out in no time.  JJ hit the road, I quickly fell asleep and we arrived in Fargo around 2:30 am... to a locked house.  I won't go into details of how we got in - ever the internet safety stooge, you know!  ; )  But, we did, and our wonderful hosts, A and LJ (although I'm going to guess this was all LJ!) had their youngest son (A)'s room (with a futon) all set up for us, while he bunked with them in their room.  They have a fabulous walk-in closet, but it still makes me giggle when she says, "You can stay in A's room - we'll just put him in the closet."  We got M situated with Baby Stella, two blankies and her sippy.  She was a little giddy --- Mommy!  Daddy!  Sleep!  --- she's not used to sleeping in the same room as us!  But only a few moments later, she lay down and was out.  We all slept soundly until about 7:30 when M happily woke up (right about her usual time - yay! - so much for all my worry about her getting totally off her routine).

We enjoyed our Thanksgiving week(ish) full of family time.  We got to visit with J's brother A and SIl LJ (and their three kiddos), J's parents (B and CJ), J's brothers B and P, and LJ's parents (D and CM).  MVJ was constantly playing (while making sure I was either right there or holding her).  She loves, loves kids and cousins L, B and A were fabulous with her!  A and L's house is set up perfectly for kids running around more or less independently.  She slept relatively well, ate ok, and didn't do anything too naughty besides cling to me like velcro - very clingy, clingy velcro.  She even had her first experience with snow - last year she was too little and... well... it was 73 in KC the Sunday before we left...  She wasn't quite sure about it, but did get some good kicking and throwing in.  Her gloves left much to be desired, but we should now be ready for the next bout (Christmas at the least)! 

I ate a ton of delicious food, shared some laughs and lively conversation, got in a game or two (including some fabulous Guess Who action with L and B and a very heated Whist game), got to share some gifts with our family, opened some very thoughtful gifts, did a little early morning shopping Sunday (but not crazy shopping - we were up about 5:30 and went to three shops) and just overall enjoyed being with people we know and love!

It was not only a J holiday - my parents also drove up Friday night to visit though Saturday afternoon.  Knocking off about nine hours to visit us was too tempting for them!  M entertained and we even had lunch with Uncle W.

We headed home Saturday evening after our success with the night driving Tuesday.  Though we were about an hour later, it still worked out really well - M did wonderfully and JJ and I were able to take our turns driving while the other at least rested.  I think the best part was having today to recoup.  We can't wait to see our family again in a few weeks for Christmas!

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Did you go shopping on Sunday morning, too? I bet the lines were a LOT shorter than when we went Friday morning!:)