Wednesday, November 17, 2010

From the mouth of babes...

...about babes

My tummy is growing.  That is not a big surprise.  Although, the rate at which it is growing is definitely different this second time around - which I've heard is pretty typical.  I haven't officially told every student at my elementary school, so I still get lots of interesting looks AND - thankfully for your sakes - some interesting comments.  Here are a few:

When telling my small reading group, one of the 5th graders said, "I thought you were getting bigger."

A random 2nd grader: "Will you be going to the doctor soon?"
Me (kind of thrown off): "Uhh...?"
R2ndG - meaningfully glancing at my belly.
Me: "Oh!  Are you looking at my tummy?"
R2ndG shyly: "Yes..."
Me: "That was a nice way to ask!  Yes, I am having a baby."
It was then followed up by R2ndG: "So how did the baby get IN your tummy?"
Me: "You'll have to go home and ask Mom and Dad about that one."
I know, I know, missed teachable moment...  but sorry... not going there especially with MY belly big and huge!  Hypotheticals are one thing people!  Also, what would his parents (and the parents of all the kids in the class - whose ears had definitely perked up by this point) want him to know at this point??
R2ndG: "Well, so will it hurt when the baby comes OUT of your tummy?"
Me (cringing slightly): "Yes, it will.  Now I think you should get back to your spelling page."  (stinker)

My high needs kiddo has something new to say every day and yes, there have been some attempts to touch the tum-tum, which have been thwarted... so far...  I'm pretty sure he's discussed me being pregnant at home.  Some of his comments include:
"So... are you going to have a baby?"
"Well, so is it going to be a boy or a girl?"
"Are you going to have the baby like now or soon or something?"
and my favorite -- "Is he going to be cute?"

1 comment:

Lyz said...

You should write that down for the new Mister's scrapbook.

Students are so hilarious.