Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tidbits of Advice: Bathtime Prep

My advice is to always put everything out before it's time for the actual bath to go down. I always give her a bath in the morning because she seems to get hyped up from them (not calmed down as I have read a lot --- i.e. "give your baby a bath at night because it will calm her down and she will be ready to sleep" --- but then again my baby seems to go against the grain -- maybe yours won't!). I usually put out her stuff the night before just so that when she's ready for a bath I don't have to scramble.

This is what I lay out:
*her tub -- she has one with a little hammock-type thing for little babies, so she is cradled above the water
*two washcloths (I use one for soap and one to get the soap off)
*baby soap, shampoo, and lotion (we have a little basket for all of this stuff so it's already together)
*whatever you use for diapering (wipes, a clean diaper, "butt cream", powder, etc.)
*a big towel (I put this on the table, folded so it supports her head)
*one of her hooded towels (this is what I use to dry her off and warm her up)
*a clean outfit (don't forget the socks or whatever little item that is easily forgotten!)
*a warm blankie close by so it's easy to warm her up as I feed her afterward

I like to give her a bath just as she starts getting hungry so that I can feed her/warm her up right afterward. Plus -- it does not work for us to give a bath on a full or even semi-full tummy... bad things can happen!

No comments: