Thursday, January 15, 2009

Uffda!

I'm so glad today's over. It has been way too emotionally draining for me! I don't think the freezing cold weather is helping either! It started with finding out my student who is basically in a self-contained room for anxiety had another meltdown at home and wouldn't come to school. The VP went through the steps and the police officer for our school was notified. She was going to the house when she could. Because of that the IEP we had scheduled for today was postponed. Then another kiddo came late and was thrown off. He did little work in many of his classes and was rude to a para who was trying to help him. Another "emotional" kiddo was picking fights and being a bully. Still another kiddo didn't have her homework done and is failing her functional math class (which is at her level). Sometimes I just get frustrated that there aren't enough hours in the day. I set up some meetings. I called a Mom and we set up a date. I asked if her husband would be joining us and she said, "Well, I don't know, have you heard?" I was like, "No..." She went on to explain that two nights ago her husband just up and left and said he was done. Her kiddo wasn't in school yesterday and I thought she was sick. Poor thing!

I had a meeting after school and one of the gals didn't have her work done. Again. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. She never has her stuff done and is the one who before Christmas said, as the life skills teacher, "Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been swamped!" Then I got home and found out that our sink blew up. On my way home from school I called and JJ described it as a circle of hell opened up in our kitchen. As I walked towards our door, the carpet outside the kitchen was soaking wet. Not a good sign. Good thing we can just call maintenance and don't have to worry about it at all. It's just that our kitchen is a bit torn up at the moment. JJ also had met with an advisor and had some new plans for the next few years as far as classes he'd like to take. Phew!

I think I'll just stay on the chair in front of the TV the rest of the night....

4 comments:

Noel said...

Thanks for being a teacher.

Lyz said...

Erica, I dealt with the crap in one year that you deal with every day. This can only be possible because you are possibly the most patient and kind person on the face of the planet.

Otherwise you'd go bonkers.

JJ and EJ said...

Awww, you guys just made my day -- and it's only 7:30! Thank you! I think I would go crazy but I've really tried to leave stuff at school. It's a tough lesson but if I'm going to be a good Mommy (and need to stay working) it's one I've got to learn!

JJ and EJ said...

Haha, and when I say, "I leave it at school" I mean first I gripe about it on my blog and then leave it alone. : )