Sunday, November 23, 2008

All Neil, All the Time

My best bud TAF and her hubby MEF came to visit this weekend. We have been having a fabulous time! So far we've:
*gone to the Green Mill
*gone shopping (woohoo!)
*had some Jimmy Johns (yum-o)
*stamped!!
*played a new game (Blokus) -- highly recommend it -- it's approved by Mensa people... : )
*went to Texas Roadhouse
*AND went to Neil Diamond!

TA's bday is coming up and MF bought her tickets to the show. He decided that we would maybe have more fun going (in a "I'd actually sing and dance along with her" kind of a thing). After hitting the bathroom for the second time in a row that night, it was time to sit down. We had awesome seats on the floor. After we found our spots, we decided it would be good to walk around a bit to kill the 20 or so minutes until Neil. I decided against any Neil paraphernalia, a decision I may regret later... : ) Then, back at our spots, and a few more drunk people stumbling in later, it was time for the show to start. The ladies behind us were hillarious in a "you are so annoying" kind of way... They kept bumping my friend TAF in the head with first themselves on their cellphone and then with their hands trying to clap. A lady in front of us was on her cellphone like the whole concert. Why would you even try to accomplish that feat? And a couple in front of us needed to get a room. Seriously. And they were older. They knew better. Neil came out and sang a few songs (obviously) and then said that the last time he was in our town it was something, something 1970. He was like, "Who was there with me??!" TAF and I were like... uh... not born yet...

He sang lots of classics and some from his new CD. He talked often about being a man of God and his family. He also said that all the proceeds from his "stuff" sales go to Hurricane Ike victims (ladies behind us must have been huge fans -- they cheered very loudly for this announcement). He also came into the crowd for two songs (ladies behind us: I will just die if he comes over. Oh my goodness. He's coming! He's walking around! No, no, he's turning. Should we follow him? Should we go out there?) TA did become a bit of a rule-breaker when she broke out our camera and took a few shots. We were close to the sound tech. booth thingy, so a guy came over and told her to put it away. Naughty TA! ; )

I can't remember the name of the second "floor" song he did, I think it was something about September nights or something? ? Anyhow, he took a lady's hand and walked with her for a while, and they danced for a little bit, and then he kissed her. On the mouth. It was wierd. Then, back on stage, he said, "Thank you beautiful lady for walking with me. Thank you nice man who was with beautiful lady for not hurting me while I walked with beautiful lady. Thank you beautiful lady for the delicious kiss. Thank you again nice man for not punching me in the face." It made me blush it was so awkward. He has this low, low, sultry voice that made it a bit creepy for me, and apparently made the over 40 crowd swoon.

TAF and I totally had dance moves to Sweet Caroline. It was great! And we thought he might leave without singing Coming to America, but he had saved it for his second encore song. The boys were super kind and dropped us off and picked us up from the concert! We were hyped up from the whole concert - hyped up enough to play three more rounds of Blokus. TAF kicked our cans, and then it was time for bed!

No comments: