Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pet peeves I didn't even know I had....

I have learned a lot about myself through this process of being a teacher. Here is a (short) list in no particular order of the top pet peeves I didn't even know I had:

1. People who underachieve.
Really people, in my class if you do work you'll get an A. People fail my class and I don't get it. It bothers me! There are only so many reminders I can give. If the homework isn't turned in, I can't grade it. I know my class isn't on probably most of my kids' priority list, but I like to think it is a useful and enjoyable class. If you ace the quiz, you can do the work. So do it.

2. People who are disrespectful.
I make a big deal about respect on the first day of my class. Respect can be shown in a number of ways and should be shown to everyone in class. It bugs me when people are talking when I'm talking but it bugs me more when kids disrespect other kids. Learn to deal with different people. We don't all have to be best friends, but we have to be kind to each other.

3. People who try to be clones of their "friends".
Oh my word. Get a life people! I have noticed this with a couple of girls in my classes, but in one of my current classes I have the worst case and it is a boy. I have student (A) and then student (R) who would like to be the clone of A. It is pathetic. Right now I have them on opposite sides of the room thinking R would learn to intereact on his own. Nope. Now he just cranes his neck to see what A is doing. And there is lots of talking across the room. Arrgh.

4. Negative people.
I know this post is basically all negative, but people who see the glass half empty ALL THE TIME in EVERY SITUATION bug me to no end. Get over it! Don't sweat the small stuff. When students complain excessively, I give them more work. The end. We're playing a game called I win. : )

5. What am I supposed to do??
I've learned to say, "Ask a friend who was listening." I know some kids have CAPD, ADD, and a whole host of other learning disabilities, but really folks, it's written on the board, it's on your worksheet, and I've said it at least twice now. In life you have to put forth at least a little effort on your own.

Ahhh, I feel so much better.

1 comment:

Lyz said...

There is nothing I love more than to hear YOU complain! Ahhh, funny.

Also, I second almost all of those complaints. And the game called I win? Pure gold. You are a middle school teacher NOW, mama.

Also..."Ask a friend who was listening.." It is so important to have phrases like that at the ready so your head doesn't explode.