Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Just to clarify...

We had a track meet yesterday and it was a lot of fun! I left during 6th period, and as I was announcing to my kids that I better hear a good report and blah blah blah, I told them that Mr. T. (student teacher) would be coming in to take over when I left. They started cheering and it was so funny because one kid, my funky, quirky chicky raised her hand and said, "Just to clarify, we aren't cheering because we don't like you, it's just that Mr. T. is so cool." : ) Thanks for clarifying A. Now back to me threatening you within an inch of your lives. hehe, I sound so mean, but hopefully everyone who knows me knows how exaggerated that is!

The kiddos did a great job for their first meet. Some of them didn't get that they had to keep track of where they should be and what events they were in on their own... hopefully that will be better for the next one -- this Friday. When I got there I was assigned to the discus pit. So let me tell you a little story. I've never even SEEN a discus. And certainly never seen one thrown. The main guy helping (phew... I was just his assistant) was like, so did you throw in high school? To which I replied, nope, but I've done it on the wii (which JJ later informed me it is the hammer throw... close enough!).

This wii business kind of reminds me of those commercials from Holiday Inn Express. "Doctor, can you perform this surgery?" "I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." When we went to play tennis last Saturday, I seriously figured my game got better from playing it on the wii..... nope.....

But I digress! So I get to the discus pit or whatever it's called and the guy's like you're going to be the measurer. Ok, sounds great. The kids warm up and we're ready to go. I'm standing next to him waiting patiently and safely for the kid to throw. The guy's like, ok, you've got to be out there. What?? So just to clarify, you want me to be out there where they'll be throwing at me? Haven't you just had a safety talk with this group about being behind the mesh because these things can seriously do damage? Hmmm, alllrighty then. I'm sure he was like where did they get this one to help me? But anyways, I went out there and did not get hit once. Yay! And one guy threw it like 110 feet (as an 8th grader). It was pretty cool.

No comments: