Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Really? Nevermind then...

This summer I am a "mentor" - kind of like a Big Sister, but through the public school system I work for. It has been going quite well so far. I'm getting into my routine and getting to know what I need to do for the kiddos. Yesterday all my plans went under water, literally, with the heap o' rain we got. So, in the morning I called the YMCA because most of the kids I work with have passes. I wanted to see how it would all work. The lady was really rude (I think she thought I was just trying to get in for free). At one point she said, "Well, I'm just trying to figure out what you're going to do here. We don't have anything for a ten-year old to do."

So, we went to the Public Library ... for two hours ... with a kid with severe ADHD.

C'mon sunshine!!

2 comments:

Lyz said...

NOTHING at the YMCA for a 10 year old? Cmon. Isn't that what they are there for?

Swimming might be a good option.

If you have to go to the library, you could ask the librarian if they have a scavenger hunt - type activity, or make your own. Add a digital camera, and you're off!

Also, I forgot how snazzy the GF library is. Boo.

JJ and EJ said...

Yeah I know. It was a little wierd. Oooh, I like the scavenger hunt idea. Thanks Lyz! And just for fun we could hit up the EGF Library too -- it's beautiful in there!