Thursday, May 1, 2008

Why.... thank you?

So, more track stories. I got the pleasure of riding one of the busses today (my turn, darn!). We get on the bus and are waiting and waiting. The other bus leaves and we don't move. I'm like, what is going on? So I get up from my strategic middle seat -- right in the action -- and ask the driver if he needed something. He didn't realize I was a coach..... wait a second.... was I just mistaken for a seventh or eighth grader??

And that reminds me of another story. When I was doing my resident teacher internship in W, Our State, at an elementary school, one of the lunch ladies thought I was a student. Hmmmm, so there I was mistaken for a sixth grader or younger! I know I'm short, but c'mon! Hopefully people can guess within ten years -- especially when the teen years are in between!

Back to track, I just thought I'd update on the discus drama. So today the added danger was the high school team was practicing on the same field the shot and discus were being thrown. They did their warm-ups, and then guess, just guess what they decided to practice. Javelin! IN MY DIRECTION! I was like wha?? So now discs are being thrown to my front and javelins are being thrown to my back. What is this track world coming to? Of course they never even got close to me, but just knowing they were back there scared me!

Tomorrow I get to be Mr. BH, one of the gym teachers. What shall it be? Mat ball? Dodge ball? DDR? The hokey pokey?

2 comments:

. said...

okay, this post also made me laugh out loud. the next time you hit the mall, try shopping at the limited too and see if anyone blinks when you ask if "this lavender sparkly jumpsuit comes in blue, you know, so it brings out my eyes. and is there a matching headband?"

Lyz said...

Ha! I love the image of you as the target of the field events...DUCK!

And, have I really never told you the story about an older gentlement mistaking me for a 7th grader? And kind of insulting my (supposed) 7th grade intelligence at the same time?

Also, try for student discounts. I got one at a golf course, and got to tell the guy where my HUSBAND worked. Take that.