Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Movin on uuuup!

*Not exactly to the East Side though...

I'm officially moving next door to the special education room for next year. I'm so excited and nervous and worried and thrilled, etcetera! My job was posted last week, so I know it's official. There have already been applicants and it's a bit wierd, but I'm also excited to pass on info. about the foreign language job because I have loved it so much. However, as it is my last week as Mrs. J., the World Languages teacher, I thought it would be fitting to post a top ten list.

Top Ten Reasons Why I'm Glad I'm Done with being a Foreign Languages Teacher:

10. It is really tough fitting in four languages in nine weeks.

9. Keeping four languages (well five really) straight in my mind so that I can help my students keep them straight gets confusing! But learning them has been great fun!

8. Being a part of the Super Nova team - I have really enjoyed it, however, the meetings are once a week and some of our group members are just such... downers...

7. Teaching the same. thing. every. quarter. I feel like an 8th year teacher. This, however, is not such a bad thing either.

6. Getting to know students better -- not just for a brief time thoughtout the year.

5. No more just using my minor. Time to dig out the ol' master's work.

4. No more explaining to people how exactly I teach four languages and how I am not actually fluent in five languages.

3. Not so much correcting!

2. NO MORE BREAKFAST DUTY!! Yes, this one got two exclamation marks. It was a close second.



and... #1. I don't have to teach the German word for fat to 6th and 7th graders any more! (it's dick.... yeah....)

1 comment:

Noel said...

I think the language survey class is a big step up from the Olden Days when students like me had to pick a language without any exposure. One of my daughters is just finishing up world language survey and will be taking Latin next year in Fargo. She sees it tieing in to her writing interest as a career and it is a good foundation for any Romance language she may choose to learn in the future. I find that the case with my continuing effort to learn German on my own, 35 years after having French as my first foreign language.

As for the word "fat" in German...I was finishing up lunch with a German colleague at Frankfurt-Hahn airport and wanted to express that I was ready to go through security and proceed to the gate. Instead of saying "Ich bin fertig." I said "Ich been fettig" to which he politely looked at me for a moment and went on to explain that "fettig" meant "greasy".

Best wishes with the new position.