Friday, July 30, 2010

A Taste of KC

We need some money coming in soon... because we are enjoying the local cuisines a little too much!  : )  In our defense, we HAVE sought out deals and have not allowed ourselves to eat out more than once a day...... ; )  I have my interview Monday and am hoping and praying it is the job for me.  JJ also starts school Monday and MVJ is trying out a daycare Monday so it will be a very busy day!!

Let me give you a rundown of the local fare we have sampled so far.

Bo Lings (with the Ls!  Yay!): a delicious Chinese restaurant we ordered take out from Friday night.  We ate at Jimmy Johns for supper but when we had all congregated to the living room (amongst all the boxes and furniture sitting willy nilly) we decided that at like 10:30 we were all still hungry.  But... no internet... no phone book... no smart phones... what to do?  We got out the "not so" trusty Gar-Gar, who gave us a rundown of the nearby restaurants.  This turned out to be a major winner.  And the bag was supercute too!

The next day TL ventured out into the big city and brought back some Einstein bagels.  YUMMY!  This has been maybe our favorite find.  They're so fresh, delicious AND reasonably priced!  Mmmm!  Chocolate chip bagel anyone?  How about some honey and oat shmear on a cracker?  Delish!

Next JJ and I ventured out to Target to buy some necessary home items and came across a smoothie shop, where I bopped in to order one for each of us (and MVJ drank a bunch of each of ours!).  I ordered the medium to be safe and it was HUGE.  We have pics of MVJ carrying JJ's around and it is seriously bigger than her body!  ; )  Yum-o Peach and Banana smoothies hit the spot for us.

Then we had to have some Noodles.  I LOVE Noodles and Co.  Delicious!  Although JJ does chide me for ordering the same thing every time: Mac and Cheese!  But it is SO good!  And I can easily share with the M-ster.  Hey!  Last time I even added some broccoli.  Ok, enough defense of my choice - I WILL continue to order the Mac and Cheese. every. single. time.

By then we were disgusted with ourselves for living in KC for like three whole days without a single taste of KC BBQ so we had to remedy that situation immediately.  Our next culinary adventure was to Smokehouse Barbeque Restaurant.  I am not a huge fan of BBQ, so I ordered a simple chicken sandwich.  I should've planned on EVERYTHING being BBQ.  Oh well... it really was good -- not too smokey I guess and sweet enough for me to enjoy.  : )

Next JJ's choice was some pizza at Spin.  We went in as a family and only ordered one small pepperoni pizza but all of us walked away feeling happy and full!  Well, except MVJ, but it was past her naptime and beyond the point of reason. 

Oh!  Somewhere in there we tried this self-serve yogurt place.  Yum-o, but it was the cause for great marital distress when JJ told me to just go in and get something for him and he'd wait in the van with MVJ.  BAD idea.  I turned up getting all the wrong things and being accused of not knowing him at all.  Yikes!  Note to self: JJ does NOT and has NEVER liked plain m&ms OR chocolate chips.  In fact, he'd rather eat his white chocolate yogurt PLAIN.  Dually noted.

Last, but certainly not least, we tried this Mexican food, by my choosing.  Mmmm!  We decided next time we are totally getting the 4-person take out special and eating it for a few days.  But the salsa was delicious and the fixings tasted very fresh.

I totally blame JJ for our eating out extravagance.  He *used to* watch Food Network and learn about all the best places to check out.  Of course how could we LIVE with ourselves if we moved to an area with all these great food choices and NOT try them... all!  : )

1 comment:

Lyz said...

I'm adding the smoothie AND yogurt places to our destination list. For our visit in SIX DAYS.

Aaron and I have had sooo many discussions about food preferences, mostly because I always fail to predict what he might like. He also does not like plain M&M's. Gah.