Thursday, July 29, 2010

The BIG move...

So we moved from ND to KS... not just a slight little undertaking.  And one that would NOT have happened without the help of our fabulous friends.

We got all loaded in our Uhaul and cleaned out of our apartment AND it happened quicker than we thought it was.  Don't you love pleasant surprises like that??  I called the Housing Office to see if by chance we could check out early when I noticed that we would definitely not need until 5pm.  I called a few times because the person I was supposed to talk to was never at her desk.  I think I left one message and then called back maybe three times.  I know, I know... when I have an idea in my head I just have to get a straight answer one way or another!!  So finally I called and asked if I could talk to someone else.  Sure! she said.  Hmmm... maybe I should've asked that on call #2...  The lady said that she had gotten my first message... and had already left a message for the Resident Manager person on duty, but had not officially spoken with him.  When I left the message I thought we could maybe check out at 4, but we officially finished at about 2:30!  Crazy!

We decided we should pick up MVJ from our friend AO's house where she was chilling so LL and I hopped in the O's car (switched so she could have the van with M).  We picked her up and it started to downpour.  It was just amazing because it started raining right after we got all of our stuff loaded.  God is so good!  With a few hugs we were on our way back to the L's house -- where else would we go?  There was NOTHING at our place to entertain MVJ (and we know how that can go).  About 15 mins. before 4 I decided to double check that the RM was indeed available to check us out early.  The lady was like, "Oh!  I thought you were already all checked out.  He came by at like 2:45 and was going to head right over to your place."  Boo!!  We must've just missed him while we were picking up MVJ.  I was a little frustrated because a very quick phone call to me would've solved that whole problem.  Sooo now we had to wait for our original check out time of 5pm. 

It really was ok because we had decided we would be stopping in Watertown, SD (about 3 hours out of GF, making the drive that much shorter on Friday).  MVJ and I headed to our apartment about 4:45 to wait for the checkout guy.  While waiting we said goodbye to each room (MVJ waving and saying "buh-bye" at each stop!).  She was soooo scared.  It was so sad to me that I couldn't explain exactly what was going on, though I tried.  She clung to me, with SUPERbig eyes and would not venture anywhere on her own.  JJ hit the road around 4 because he knew he would have to drive slower with the Uhaul dollying our car.  His guess proved to be true because with all the road construction in SD, trucks (including moving vans!) were required to take alternate routes.  He basically weaved his way all over SD until he finally showed up in WT about a half hour before us (and we had a late checkout - after 5:15 when the guy showed up! plus supper).  I drove in the van with MVJ and TL and LL drove their car (with some of our belongings!).  MVJ finally fell asleep about a half hour out of GF and slept quite a bit of the way.  I suspected she would sleep the whole way and was worried when she woke up, but she just happily sat with a toy and/or a book.  I took some pics... much to JJ's horror, but it wasn't like I turned all the way around or looked to focus them or anything... : )

We checked into our hotel in Watertown and hung out for a little while while crazy MVJ bounced from one spot to another.  She found out how to unlock the safe in the room and was interested in the buttons on it and the phone and the TV and the chair and LL and TL and Daddy and I and the list goes on!  We made a plan to meet in the breakfast area at 6:30 - we HAD to make our check in time by 6 pm Friday or we would have to check in Saturday morning.  NO THANKS.  We also decided at that point to stick together.  We were ok driving a little slower if it meant that we could switch drivers if needed as well as have lunch together. 

We got on the road at about 7:30ish and everything just continued to go so smoothly.  MVJ was up chattering, looking at books, having snacks and just being a very pleasant little girl.  She only napped about a half hour which spelled doom to me, but seriously she did SO well.  I can't even begin to describe what a relief that was!!  As we approached Omaha, the Garmins (each vehicle had one for a total of 3) started showing heavy traffic ahead as well as traffic delays - our arrival time started getting progressively later and later and it made all of us a little nervous to say the least.  We made a very quick fuel/lunch break at a gas station in a suburb of Omaha while we once again laid out our plans.  We decided that TL and JJ would stick together and LL and I would cruise ahead in the van just to for sure make our Friday check in time.

LL got behind the wheel - such a blessing - and we were off!  Little did we know that our Garmin would try to kill us. . . duh duh duuuuuh. 

Garmin Epic Fail #1: There was some road construction getting into the actual city of Omaha and Garmin had us get off of I-29.  We thought maybe it was trying to avoid construction and traffic delays.  We got off and advised the boys to do the same.  They decided to just stick it out on I-29 since their Gar-Gars (our nickname for our Garmin -- you know, like Tom-Tom...) told them to keep on a'truckin.  We were tooling through cute little fields on backroad Nebraska - you know, corn fields and more corn fields.  We could see I-29 running parallel to us the whole time... and it didn't appear to have too slow of traffic, but what could we do?  And, I might add, LL was not driving back country speeds.  We were clipping along until finally we reached the point where we were supposed to get back onto I-29.  As we merged over, we got .... right in front of... a moving van!  I called JJ who was just laughing on the other end.  Yup... so much for our Speedy Gonzales moves - we were RIGHT back where we started.

I fell into a deep sleep about 2.7 seconds after we were safely cruising down I-29.  MVJ also fell asleep and had a very good nap (close to 1.5 hrs. this time).  We woke up in time to cheer as we drove into MISSOURI!  Woohoo!  We called TL and JJ and whooped it up.  They appeared to be about a half hour or so behind us.

Garmin Epic Fail #2:  We passed St. Josephs and realized that the very next big town would be KC!  Woohoo!  As we neared the city, Gar-Gar told us to get on a different road.  We were leery this time and checked with TL to double check this move.  He said that there was a route that by-passed downtown KC and would loop toward our suburb.  We decided to follow Gar-Gar (and TL) on this one and headed to 435 (I think... something like that...).  BUT Gar-Gar did end up with the big disappoint because then it wanted us to jump off 435 quickly and head into town.  We followed directions like good girls and ended up driving through city streets for over 100 blocks.  Yes, through stop lights and construction and people and traffic.  It was NO GOOD.  The boys couldn't believe we weren't all checked in when they called to say that they in fact were also headed into town.  THEIR Gar-Gars took THEM on I-635 and I-69 like ours should've! 

By the time we were checked in (and at this point, I'll be honest and a little embarrassed - I was not the most happy camper.  When the check in lady said I need to have JJ sign something I kind of went off because we went to a notary in GF so that very thing would not have to happen.  She tried to explain that that was on the lease agreement - this was on the application.  Whatever.  All I heard was JJ has to be here.  She quickly explained that I could still have the keys and move in - she just needed him to head over whenever he got in.  Ooookkkk...).  So anyways... by the time we checked in, the boys were just about there and our friend SM was on his way to help us unload.  Friends are SUCH a blessing.  We would STILL be unloading I'm sure if it wasn't for the Ls and SM.  But, as it is, we are almost done unpacking.  Woot!  Woot!

More on our adventures in KC next time!  

No comments: