Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Midnight Snack

taken literally

My darling daughter has been in a little funk lately.  Moving?  Different schedule?  Mommy and Daddy home, but with lots of random errands?  FOUR teeth coming in?  That happen to be the "eye" teeth? 

Yes, yes, triple yes.  Poor baby.

But this Momma is really having trouble adjusting to her newborn-esque sleep schedule.  Last night was like the final straw.  She woke up at right around 11:30.  I put her back down.  She woke back up around midnight.  Daddy went in to play bad cop.  She must be acting naughty right?  Didn't quite work that way (and from overhearing how the conversation went from her room, he is a VERY soft bad cop...).  He concluded that maybe she has an ear infection.  We know that teeth and ear infections can sometimes go hand-in-hand AND that ear infections can make laying down miserable.  But what to do until the walk-in clinic opened?  After JJ left her in her room, we thought she may have gone back to sleep until we heard, "Gooooo Daddy?  Gooooooo puppy?  Daddy?  Baby?"  They were all questions and we couldn't help but giggle as she went through her vocabulary list. 

I decided at about 12:30ish that I would rock her in the living room comfy chair so she could sleep and I could at least rest.  I *thought* it was a good idea.  She, however, became the life of the party.  She was talking and squirming and generally NOT going to sleep.  I decided to let her run around.  She instantly went into the kitchen and grabbed a bag of fruit snacks.  I offered her some and she gobbled them up.  "More." 

First, I gave her some teething tablets (they say they may cause drowsiness (YES PLEASE).  Then, I got out the veggie tray left from our Bye-bye BBQ.  She ate a cherry tomato (YUM!) and started in on a carrot, but took off to explore.  I could not believe how awake she was.  I decided to surf the web as she played happily in the living room.  (I found an elementary special ed. position open... hmm... praying about it...)

She grabbed another bag of fruit snacks.  I was like Come on Girlfriend!  Two fruit snacks past midnight?  But the girl was content and hungry, so I opened the bag and she sat content on the floor chomping them up.  Maybe the gummy texture felt good on her teeth??  Anyways, afterwards she started trying type on my online application so I took her into her room to play quietly.  She jumped up on a rocking chair and started banging on her closet door.  I think at that point my words were, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"

I let her put on her lullaby CD (she LOVES pushing play) and we "danced" for a while.  Then I told her that Mommy was frustrated and she needed to go to sleep.  Guess what?  It worked.  She slept until about 8:15 this morning (but that was from 3ish am....).

Enter the Mommy.  Mommy, who could barely see straight while baby entertained herself, headed straight for bed.  Only to realize that she now was WIDE AWAKE.  Grrrrr ba drrrrrrr.  I could tell I was bothering JJ, so I finally asked him if he thought it would be a good idea for me to apply to a school teaching position.  He groggily answered that if it felt right I should give it a shot.  I resumed my online application and finished it around 4:30ish this morning...  Hopefully they don't think I'm a crazed person who never sleeps.  Also hopefully my answers made sense (I did triple check them this morning after I realized I had clicked a "doctorate" in elementary ed. instead of a "bachelor's"... oooops....).

No comments: