Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Least helpful waiter EVER.

My parents were here last weekend, which is always a fun event.  After a full morning of shopping -- one in which MVJ came home with an EXERSAUCER!! -- we decided to go to W's in EGF for lunch.  It was seat yourself and we chose to sit in a booth.  My mom asked a waitress if we could have a highchair, and she said she'd send our waiter right over.  After a few minutes our waiter came over for our drink order.  We gave it along with an appetizer order.  He came back with our drinks - no problem - and I asked him about the highchair (I assumed the waitress had asked him about it).  So still, no problems.  

Then, I asked him if we could order a banana or a similar fruit to feed MVJ (we had not planned to stop for lunch, so I was the unprepared Mommy - thank goodness MVJ has been a rockstar at big girl food lately).  He said they didn't have anything like that.  I said, "No banana splits or anything like that?"  He said no... so we just left it at that.  Then I wanted to order two pancakes.  He said they could only do three.  I have weird eating habits and have ordered pancakes at many different places, despite JJ's scolding me for going out to eat something that is so easy and inexpensive to make at home!  Anyways, it has never been a problem to order one or two pancakes.  I was like, whatever, that's fine.  He came back a short while later and said they would only give me five pancakes.  At that point it just seemed kind of ridiculous.  I don't think I made a big deal about it, but I did say, "Really?"  He was all, "Well, they're not very big!"  I was like fine, just bring me the pancakes.  By this time MVJ is starting to get fussy and he is seeming to be irritated by that.  My Dad orders a burger.  He called it a "W Burger" and the guy was kind of snotty about it.  He was all "We don't have a W Burger.  Do you mean the (insert the name of whatever the burger was called) burger?"  MVJ is up in arms and we decide shortly after the waiter brings our appetizer that we'll have to get our food to go.  He agrees to bring it right out.  It seems to take a while (of course I'm walking around bouncing MVJ in an attempt to pacify her so it may have SEEMED just a bit longer than it actually was).  MVJ, my Mom and I decide to head back to the van and my Dad comes shortly after with the food and we had a lovely meal at home while MVJ fell fast asleep in her crib.    

After writing it all out it seems like it was no big deal.  I guess you just kind of had to be there.  He just seemed to rub me the wrong way and then those little things just added to the whole experience.  

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Totally get it. Some restaurants just seem like they really DON'T want you OR your baby there. Grr.

I started to keep a couple thing of baby food (Gerber) in the diaper bag, just so I didn't have to stress about that stuff.

Have you given Maddie pancakes yet?! I bet she'd love 'em.