Thursday, October 29, 2009

This girl loves to eat

I read somewhere that breastfed babies develop good eating habits because they only eat enough -- it's not like "C'mon, you only have 1/2 oz. left, just finish the bottle..." or that mentality.  They'll eat what they need and then either just stay latched because it's soothing - but don't necessarily connect food with comfort - more mom/the cuddle OR unlatch and look for the next activity.

I've been believing that but now that MVJ is on to more and more different kinds of foods, she can't get enough.  Seriously.  It seems that she would keep eating forever if we'd let her.  She loves any and all Gerber snacks, especially yogurt melts, wagon wheels, oh and definitely the puffies.  She loves fruits.  She loves vegetables.  She even loves oatmeal (as long as she can play with it - squooshing it in her chubby little hands and getting it EVERYWHERE) - (confessions of a control freak parent here... I have to take deep breaths and remind myself that this play is part of how she learns about the world!).  She LOVES it if she can feed herself, but still hasn't quite mastered the spoon - in fact, we try to NOT let her take the feeding spoon because she jams it down her throat. 

She STILL, however, won't drink much liquid throughout the day when I'm gone.  At times she'll take a little bit of a little juice/a lot of water from a sippy cup, but she definitely doesn't go for it like when she's getting her milk fix.

2 comments:

jillg said...

I've been meaning to ask you about how MVJ drinks during the day. Ever since we started spoon feeding A, she doesn't want to nurse as much. I am still nursing four times a day, but I was just wondering what they told you when M started doing that.

JJ and EJ said...

JG,

MVJ is a stinky stinkypants. When I'm home, she'd nurse every hour if she could AND eat tons of snacks AND food AND cereal. She's kind of a porker lately. When I'm not home she'll eat the snacks and the cereal but hardly any liquid. When I go to work, I nurse her one-two times before I leave in the morning, then once right when I get home, then once after dinner and then once before bed, and SOMETIMES once in the middle of the night. So, yeah, she eats quite a bit! :S