Thursday, September 18, 2014

My learning curve

I knew staying at home would be a change for me.  Obviously.  I think the cleaning and organizing have been fine (I did manage to do that while I worked full time, so it's become easier, really).  I've learned I CAN put together a few decent meals, and have been slowly but surely adding to our list of go-to recipes.  Being a taxi driver is also not something totally new to me, but it has definitely increased.  We bought a new van not too long ago and have already put on just a little less than 2000 miles!  Crazy, crazy! 

I feel like the biggest thing I'm still struggling with is time management, probably especially when it comes to meal prep, but I'm also still learning about time travel in our new town.  For example, M has dance at 5:30 on Mondays.  In my head I know we have to be out the door by 5:15 because we live close to the studio.  The problem is it doesn't naturally occur to me that to get to that point, I need to have food READY by 4:45 so she has time to eat and change.  Another possibility, of course is to have a decent snack and eat afterwards, but that would require even better meal prep because I wouldn't be able to START supper after dance.  So, so many first world problems going on there! 

Also, I think it drives JJ crazy, but I am just a slow cook.  For one thing, it's not like I'm just sitting in the kitchen minding my own business.  I also am reviewing the school day with M, trying to give C feedback on his latest soccer kick spinjitzu spin move kick jump, and probably putting a few dishes away or reloading the dishwasher.  But another, I am almost always reading a recipe (which JJ NEVER does) and let's just say my knife skills are not up to par.  (Have you heard my story of 7 stitches in my fingers?)  My solution to THIS has been to do a little meal prep while C naps in the afternoons.  I try to at least chop the veggies, but sometimes I'll even premeasure ingredients or have pots/pans out and ready to go.  I know.  I am THAT weirdo Type A-er that enjoys that sort of stuff.

So what about you?  What are some tips or tricks you've picked up in the area of time management/meal prep??  Keep 'em coming because I need all the help I can get! 

No comments: